Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

PSP: Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology

Just saw that this one was released for PSP, haven't seen any screens yet. Might be something for you Harrison.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool. I will check this one out when I get a chance.

I'm currently playing the GBA and Amiga versions of Wings on my PSP to compare them Is great having so many systems in the palm of my hand. You are missing out on so much DC

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What is tha GBA version like? Im waiting for a proper PC or PS2/3 remake....
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are missing out on so much DC
    I don't know, perhaps you're right, but I know myself better than you, if I'm gonna buy a PSP now, I'll test some things, and after 1-2 weeks, it's only a dust catcher. And that would be a real pity.

Of course, seeing some RPGs being released from time to time, makes my hands prickle.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Submeg View Post
    What is tha GBA version like? Im waiting for a proper PC or PS2/3 remake....
    It isn't as nice as the Amiga original, but is a very faithful remake on the GBA. The biggest factor is the lower resolution the GBA had, and the lower graphics abilities so the 3D flying sections suffer, using a sprite based pesudo 3D style rather than the real 3D of the Amiga version. But it does play nearly the same so it worth a try.

And as you installed a custom firmware on your PSP Submeg you could run both the Amiga and GBA versions of Wings on it. For the GBA I recommend the emulator gpSP as it works really well.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, sounds like an idea. Pity though, I just want an awesome WWI air sim....there are zero. Wings was the only one. Just need an updated version!! Anyone here on good terms with someone at Cinemaware? lol

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is true. It is a big surprise that Bi-Planes have never really been used more in gaming, and WWI flight sims are very thin on the ground, but there are a few...

Wings of War on the PC is an action shooter/flight sim which is meant to be really good, but quite hard. It came out in 2004 but looking at some screenshots it still looks good today, and being from 2004 the system specs won't be that taxing on current systems. I've not tried this game myself so am going to try and track down a copy.

Red Baron 3D (updated and fixed version of Red Baron II) is another PC game that is the sequel to the 1990 Amiga original, but this time slightly older, being released in 1998. I've not played this one either but have heard good things about it. There is also the third game in the series currently being developed for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Flying Corps. Next we have another PC game that was also released quite some time ago, in 1997. Gamespot game this one a score of 8.1 and liked it so it could be worth tracking down..

And there is another PC game called Death from Above. I only know this from the title and cannot find anything about it other than screenshots from the link I've given. It was due for release in 2006 but I don't know if it actually was released.

Oh and there is also the more serious Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3, which does include Bi-Planes and there are mods available for WWI campaigns.

Finally have you played any of the IL-2 Sturmovik games on the PC? They are WWII based, so no bi-planes, but they are brilliant games.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok Red Baron...I have a red baron on my PS2, it sucks and yes I have played IL-2 that was an awesome game, but alas no biplanes

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just looked up the PS2 Red Baron game and it's a completely different game. The PS2 game was developed by Devilex and is complete rubbish, scoring 3/10 where I looked.

Whereas the PC game, Red Baron 3D, was developed by Dynamix in 1998 and is a really good game, scoring 8/10. This game was also the proper sequel to the Sierra Amiga game.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    There was a fairly recent WWII game called Blazing Angels, too. Its description reminded me a lot of Wings (you follow one squadron, gripping historically accurate story, simplistic controls, etc), so I decided to get it for the PS3. It is absolute rubbish! It's far from realistic, in each mission you end up having shot down over 50 planes. And those planes are apparently flown by lemmings, they only try to dodge half-heartedly sometimes. And go down after being barely touched by a couple of bullets. They seem like target drones instead of actual opponents. The missions still get hard because of the sheer amount of enemies you have to take out in a fairly short time-limit, which end up just being frustrating. The story fails to be interesting, and even the technical aspects doesn't impress, as the game lags horribly when a lot is going on, which is often. That isn't just the PS3 version either, the game apparently has that problem across all platforms.

Just stay away from it. Its description sounded very Wings-like which is why I picked it up, but this is easily the worst game I've gotten in a long while.