Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Headphones

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow fancy stuff. And here's me watching videos of people dicking about and using a printer as a display, or installing a gaming PC in a toilet or using stupid things like kids toys, wiimotes, or Donkey Kong bongos as controllers

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting, but peddling 360Hz output and displays is just a ploy to sell more expensive hardware.

Did you know that in recent studies they have now proved the human retinal image has a maximum observable rate as 50–90 Hz. With the average person bring very close to 60 fps.

But a separate line of research has reported that fast eye movements known as saccades allow simple modulated LEDs to be observed at very high rates.

What it means is that the human eye can only see an average of 60fps, but that the brain can spot faster motion in our peripheral vision that we notice when it's not right. This is what is going on when games say it is much smoother at higher refresh rates. It isn't use watching the higher framerate, but instead tricking the brain into thinking its correct as motion moves quickly.

The study concluded that this observable high framerate in our periphery is up to 500Hz. But for gaming this is only really applicable to FPS games where the motion is very fast movement. I.e. multiplayer online fps games.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Wow fancy stuff. And here's me watching videos of people dicking about and using a printer as a display, or installing a gaming PC in a toilet or using stupid things like kids toys, wiimotes, or Donkey Kong bongos as controllers
    Loved the Gaming chair!

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Interesting, but peddling 360Hz output and displays is just a ploy to sell more expensive hardware.

Did you know that in recent studies they have now proved the human retinal image has a maximum observable rate as 50–90 Hz. With the average person bring very close to 60 fps.

But a separate line of research has reported that fast eye movements known as saccades allow simple modulated LEDs to be observed at very high rates.

What it means is that the human eye can only see an average of 60fps, but that the brain can spot faster motion in our peripheral vision that we notice when it's not right. This is what is going on when games say it is much smoother at higher refresh rates. It isn't use watching the higher framerate, but instead tricking the brain into thinking its correct as motion moves quickly.

The study concluded that this observable high framerate in our periphery is up to 500Hz. But for gaming this is only really applicable to FPS games where the motion is very fast movement. I.e. multiplayer online fps games.
    Possibly H & I wouldn't want to argue about it.

However, it's almost as bad as saying, "I cant see any difference between 60Hz & 120Hz". - Of course you can if you know what to look for. - I already know that 360Hz is going to scroll sideways much slicker than my 165Hz is currently.
    Bring it on!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Undoubtedly it is better, but the questions really become 'how much better' followed by 'will it really make much difference to me' and then finally 'is it worth the extra ca$h'

As I am pretty bad at fast paced online shooty bang clicking-on-heads-simulators, i'm really not the target audience.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Loved the Gaming chair!
    I also enjoyed when he installed a whole bunch of malware and then called tech support for help, stupid, pointless, yet amusing.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm rather liking using my Bluetooth headphones. The lack of a cable is actually quite nice. It sucks having to charge them though, and sometimes the Bluetooth connection drops when there's no audio for a period. I don't know if that is an issue with the headphones or an issue with Windows 7's bluetooth driver.

I'd happily upgrade to some better ones at some point, but I don't think I'd get one without an optional cable as not everything has Bluetooth.

As for what we can see... I'm currently using a CRT monitor at 60Hz and whilst the flicker is definitely perceivable, I don't really notice it. I notice the convergence and focus issues more as I think this particular monitor has seen better days.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It would have surprised me more of you were not using a CRT.

A lot of higher end headphones support both Bluetooth and wired. It's more likely the device or OS dropping the connection than the headphones. Never had an issue between My phone or most other device's and My headophones. But my car sometimes refused to connect to my phone. I actually have to turn the car off, wait until it's fully off, then restart it to reset the bluetooth.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unfortunately my 24" LCD broke last year, and my 21" CRT conked out again a couple of years ago, and I haven't got round to repairing it yet. So, 17" CRT with intermittent fault to the rescue!

I really should get Linux installed on the laptop so I can try the Bluetooth headphones with that.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your Dell? That's a shame.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup, the U2410. It served me well for 11 years. I had wondered about upgrading before but decided not to as it was still such a good monitor. Unfortunately the LCD panel itself got cracked in an accident .

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My U2711 is still my main monitor as it has such good colour accuracy for photo editing. And still great for 1440p resolution too. Plus the legacy connections come in useful.

You can still pick up a lot of u2410's secondhand. Under £60.