Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is easily possible to create a decent video clip at 320x256 resolution. After all, that is the resolution VCD CDs use! And 100MB is actually quite a big file and a lot can be squeezed into this size.

I am going to try and create a detailed guide to capturing game footage, compressing and resizing and uploading to youtube and will be adding this to the site tutorials. I hope to create this next week.

For the reduction in framerate from 50 to 25, in actual fact PAL video only runs at 25FPS anyway, with the US NTSC running at 30FPS. The 50FPS is actually the interlaced TV signal, and each of these 50 frames is only ever showing half of the complete image at a time. So reducing the framerate to 25 frames per second should be an issue.

The problem with a game like Pinball Fantasies where you are losing parts of the frames due to fast motion is in how the original video clip was created. If WinUAE is capturing at 50 frames per second then it will in fact be capturing every interlaced frame a real Amiga would output.

The solution to this problem when reducing the framerate to 25FPS is to deinterlace the video clip before you reduce the framerate. This will merge every two frames interlaced content so you will then not lose any frame information when you then reduce the framerate. And, Teho, as you are using Premiere it has a deinterlace filter built in so it quite easy to use. You just need to quickly experiment on a short section of video first as you can choose to deinterlace the odd or even frames, and need to run a text first to see which frames you want to perform the action on. Hope that fixes that issue for you.

BTW, if any of you have any video related questions feel free to ask. I know quite a lot about it from my work.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does Google Video allow higher quality video to be hosted on it? Just looking at their recommended upload specs:

- MPEG4 (mp3 or mp4 audio) at 2 mbps
    - MPEG2 (mp3 or mp4 audio) at 5 mbps
    - 30 frames per second
    - 640x480 resolution
    - 4:3 frame
    - de-interlace

I believe it can be embedded in much the same way as Youtube.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm. I don't actually capture at 50fps, but at 25. And the video that plays, well to give a specific example on the Partyland table, when you do three loops you get a "crazy letter spotted" flashing real fast. But in the video clip I get, the score field is simply blank. Which I assume means that the frames I captured are the ones where the text was blinking off, while the frames that were dropped are the ones where it was on. And that's not the only occurence of this in the various Fantasies clips I got.

So if I understand this correctly, to fix this I have to recapture the video at 50fps and then do that deinterlace trick? Won't that result in the text being simply on instead of blinking fast then? Because if what you say is true about the interlaced out put, Digital Illusions apparently achieved this fast blinking by having the text showing only in the interlaced frames. Does that sound plausible at all? And if that's true, there's no way you can capture that effect right without playing it back in 50fps, is it?

AlexJ, the Youtube recommended specifications are:

- MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format
    - 320x240 resolution
    - MP3 audio
    - 30 frames per second

So I was a little off when I said 320*256, apparently.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 320x240 is just the US NTSC equivalent and the 320x256 is the PAL version. As youtube is from the US that would explain that one.

Some good news is that the video embedding code on the main site supports all of the best known video hosting services, including MSN, Yahoo and Google, so you are all welcome to use whichever service you think will give use the best results.

I think therefore we all need to do some testing this coming week and upload a video to each of the services to compare them and see which we think is the best one to use for classicamiga's videos.

Also it will be a good idea if we create a central account or in youtube's case a video group, where we can all link our accounts and group together the classicamiga video clips. This will allow us to have our own page on the video hosting service that groups together all of our videos in one place for easy viewing of them all.

I have already created a group on youtube called classicamiga with this idea in mind, and I expect it is similar on other services too.

Another idea relating to youtube is their new directors account. This would allow us to upload videos longer than 10 minutes and without the youtube logo appearing on them. I will need to look into how we can apply for this account though.

As for the deinterlacing, we need to experiment to see if it will fix the problem. I will have a go at this myself later tonight and see if I can get the flashing display to capture.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Another idea relating to youtube is their new directors account. This would allow us to upload videos longer than 10 minutes and without the youtube logo appearing on them. I will need to look into how we can apply for this account though.
    I've got a directors account - it doesn't allow me more than 10 minutes though. You simply change an option in your profile. You need an account with the 10 minute limit removed, which is done manually by Youtube.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The option in your account to select to say you are a director, musician etc... is different to what I meant. Youtube have also confusingly added a recent thing called the directors program which you can apply for to remove the 10 minute limitation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've decided to wait for a guide. To start out correctly instead of the mess I've been causing, especially as now on a clean Windows installation. Only had a rush this week as free time permitted, so seemed a good time to experiment.

As a example for quality on Youtube ...
    Youtube Assassin looked fine to me from normal sitting distance, but if you start scrutinising it you can see dithering (or what ever the correct term is) and distortions around the main character.

But then looking at this Youtube Shadow of the Beast 2 which looks pretty impressive (to me). It's probably converted using this method, as it's created by the same person that typed the forum post.

To a layman it seems pretty complex and long winded, but the end result looks worthwhile. I imagine a more streamlined method is available for people in the know.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would wait for a guide aswell, once someone on here figures it out, its as easy as 1,2,3. Sounds interesting, there are many games I havent finished (I think it would be easier to list the games I have ) so it would be good to see the endings of different games. What other systems did you use to use apart from the PC? any NES, SNES?
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, I've always been a home computer person (Spectrum, Amiga, PC). Problem is it means I can't use a joypad properly to save my life.

Used to be OK with one-on-one beat `em-ups like Street Fighter 2, until you needed multiple direction combination in addition to button combinations to pull off special moves.

Have tried Halo deathmatch on the Xbox using the analogue sticks for movement and view with similar dire outcome as trying to control movement in games with the D pad.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Using a two thumb-stick control system in any game takes a lot of practice. I've never found FPS style games accurate enough on consoles and using one stick to control character movement, and the other to control angle of view has always been a lot harder than the keyboard and mouse combo.

I have however got to grips with dual thumb-stick controls in racing games now. One to control steering and the other to control throttle and break. To begin with I just couldn't get the hang of that system and always reverted back to buttons for the accelerator and break, but after playing MotoGP a lot I've now found I can use this system well and it is much better than buttons as you can hold the throttle open at specific amounts for cornering and in traffic for games like GTA. I still hate console FPSs though.