Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Network setup for external HD

Ok, so I bought a 1TB external Maxtor drive.....I am trying to use my LAN connection to connect to the drive but it wont let me!! It's not even seeing the device, I cant even ping it. Any ideas?
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What model is the drive? Is it a NAS drive or just an external HD?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its all good, it is working now....man that was an ordeal. First was trying to get it to talk to the drive...then getting around the firewall what a headache. But I have got it sorted...time to start ripping wav files!!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, glad you got it to work. 1TB is definitely a nice size drive to have. Should take you quite some time to rip enough music to fill that up!

Competent My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Cool, glad you got it to work. 1TB is definitely a nice size drive to have. Should take you quite some time to rip enough music to fill that up!
    If he fills a quarter of that, ill eat my hat, .

I got a 250GB, about 2 years ago, and still have never filled it once. Thats with all my junk on it.
    On news of PSPUAE update on DCEMU came this reply, lol.

[quote=djk21108;]this will sure make that horace guy happy....[/quote]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Really? Including Amiga files? I've a 250GB NAS drive just for Audio and I don't have enough room for my whole collection on it.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can never have enough hard disk space. I've nearly filled all my disks again (<200MB left), that's 160GB+250GB internal and 250GB external. Looks like I need to get the DVD burner warmed up again but I'm not sure there's that much stuff that would be accessed infrequently enough to be convient on DVD.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is becoming increasingly the problem isn't it. So much stuff is much easier to have available for instant access from HD, making DVD-R's so inconvenient.

I've just ordered two new 500GB Seagate SATA drives for my main system. At the moment I have a main 160GB system HD plus two 300GB HDs for storage in the system, but I've been getting the odd disk sector read error popping up in the system logs over the past few weeks and sometimes XP refuses to complete booting because of it. I've managed to do a temp fix via the XP recovery console but the drive is obviously on its last legs.

So I'm putting these two new 500GB drives in the main system, and moving the current two 300GB drives out of that into my server. And I will then run a full disk scan of the 160GB drive to see how bad it is and maybe I can flag the bad sectors and make it usable again in another system I use less.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Trust me I will get at least 300 GB full. Reason being for my DJ gear, I use digital files. I was using mp3s and then when I changed the tempo on the song, I could hear how horrible it had become. So I decided I need to use wav files. With a rough estimation it would take up about 280 GB or so....well the songs I would use....I will end up filling it....eventually.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    May I suggest you look at the FLAC format. You might find that better than using WAV files. FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec and is being supported by most applications these days. It's a format that maintains exactly the information ripped from the CD, using compression, but without any loss in quality. It therefore maintains exactly the quality of the original CD, even the bit rate, but won't take up quite as much room as WAV files.

flac.sourceforge.net/