Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Frontend for WinUAE (and others)

I'd like to get a frontend sorted out for WinUAE, to include other platforms if possible. I've had a go at this in the past but with no success. I need to know what software to use, where to get it and most importantly how to configure it.

If it could handle ZSNES, ePSXe and a GBA emulator (no preference which) as well, that'd be great.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Think I might have answered my own question, I came across Lemonade, which seems really easy to use. It only works for WinUAE, and the UI isn't too pretty but it automatically scanned and added my games, set up the configurations automatically and even added screenshots.

Of course if there's a better alternative (especially one that includes other formats) I'd love to hear about it.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The best Frontend for WinUAE is called Lemonade and is made by Lemon Amiga. It is only for WinUAE though so you cannot use it as a frontend for multiple emulation. It comes with a screenshot pack and directly supports over 1000 games with predefined configurations.

For multi-platform emulation it will take you some configuring to get a combined Frontend to work as you wish. There are a couple of long running and well supported multi-platform frontends that you could use and they have a lot of system data files already available for them to get you started. You would therefore only need to setup the systems that are not already created by others.

Do consider however that CD based systems such as the PSX are not as likely to have predefined databases for the existing frontends as most people don't have the HD space to hold the ISO collections all at once on their system. Although with HD size increasing and price ever dropping this is changing, and now the complete PSX US and JAP ISO collections are now available it is possible.

Here are a couple of optons:

Gamebase

One of the most used Windows based frontends is called Gamebase
    This is an open source frontend that can work with any emulator you want and is the official Frontend for the DB64 Collection of C64 games. It uses a database to store the information about games, and also has a special built in scripting language called GEMUS to enable support for pretty much all emulators.

It can even import RomCenter and TOSEC datafiles to fill its database with all of the information about each game.

Some of the databases already available to use with Gamebase include C64, Atari ST, SNES, NES Vic20, and Amiga.

Gamebase has a great site that is easy to navigate with a lot of predefined databases to get you started, as well as a support forum.

Game EX

This is quite a recent frontend. Designed to work like a Media Front end, it looks a lot like the Media Centre built into XP MCE. Originally created for MAME it directly supports arcade MAME cabinet controls for control of the interface. It also supports and works with many other emulators including PSX and it has direct GoodMerge and RomCentre database support. You can also launch PC games through the frontend.

MAMEWAH

MameWah is a very long running Frontend and is still used by a lot of cabinet and MAME users. Originally it was designed for DOS and still works via commandline control when setting it up. This is a big advantage as most emulators can be launched from the commandline so pretty much all emulators can be setup to launch from this frontend. You can however configure the whole frontend via Windows based graphical control panels these days which makes things a lot easier.

This is the frontend I have been using for a long time. It's not that easy to setup, but is really good once you have. It is designed to completely hide the Windows environment and works perfectly for home arcade cabinets as you can setup the system to boot directly into the frontend.

The frontend can be completely configured with screen templates using the built in layout designer where you can have images and videos running for each game preview, and have screen graphics for each emulator as you navigate between each systems list of games. http://mamewah.mameworld.net/screenshots.htm for some screenshots showing what you can do with MAMEWah.

More Frontends to Explore

To see what other frontends are available that you may like to try I highly recommend the Zophar site. It contains two useful lists:

MAME frontends (many also support other platforms)

Universal/Multiple System Frontends

Main Frontend homepage (this links to the two lists above, plus lists for other specific platforms. Take into account that some of these list have not been updated in some time so some links may be broken)

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you did want to try out MAMEWah (which I recommend as the most complete full frontend) then I also recommend you have a look at the site Screenshot Archive as it contains a wealth of screenshots to use with any frontend, but also has a big MAMEWah skins section with some great frontend skins for this frontend that make it look really nice.

It has skins for most platforms you could think of including Amiga, PSX, Sega, Nintendo, Daphne, Atari, C64, PC Engine, MAME, Pinball, NeoGeo... and many more.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for a comprehensive answer - I'll give a couple of them a go and let you know how I get on.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay I've had a look at them and decided to go with Mamewah (the layouts make it look awesome, plus it comes with the Harrison Seal Of Approval™). I thought I'd try and get MAME to work with it first before trying any other emulators. I've changed the MAME.ini file to point to my directories, but when I select Generate List no games appear. The 3 games are the PD ones available on the MAME website (Gridlee, Robby and something else). Any suggestions?

This is my INI file, if it's a problem with that, Mame.exe is at C:\mame\mame.exe and the roms are three ZIP files (e.g. C:\mame\roms\gridlee.zip) Any idea where I'm going wrong?

### mame.ini (mamewah v1.61) ###

emulator_title M.A.M.E.

### List Generation Settings ###
    rom_path c:\mame\roms
    rom_extension zip
    dat_file
    nms_file
    catver_ini_file
    list_generation_method rom_folder_vs_listxml

### Execution Settings ###
    emulator_executable c:\mame\mame.exe
    commandline_format [name]{autodosbox}{nosafelaunch}
    alt_commandline_format_1 [name]{autodosbox}{nosafelaunch}
    alt_commandline_format_2 [name]{autodosbox}{nosafelaunch}
    game_specific_config_path

### Artwork Locations ###
    artwork_1_image_path c:\mame\snap
    artwork_2_image_path
    artwork_3_image_path
    artwork_4_image_path
    artwork_5_image_path
    artwork_6_image_path
    artwork_7_image_path
    artwork_8_image_path
    artwork_9_image_path
    artwork_10_image_path
    movie_preview_path
    movie_artwork_no 1

### Screen-Saver Settings ###
    enable_music_in_screensaver 1
    saver_type slideshow
    movie_path
    movie_fullscreen 1
    quit_delay 30
    wrapper_executable
    wrapper_commandline_format [name]{nodosbox}{nosafelaunch}
    scr_file

### External Application Settings ###
    ipc_file_or_path
    app_1_executable
    app_1_commandline_format
    app_2_executable
    app_2_commandline_format
    app_3_executable
    app_3_commandline_format
    auto_launch_apps

### Additional Settings ###
    music_path
    lcd_display_file_path
    lcd_fe_text

### Settings used by MAMEWAH ###
    current_list 0
    Last edited by AlexJ; 4th January 2007 at 19:55.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just tried it now, and you better install MAMEWah configs to configure your MAME emulation, there you can also generate the games list. You have to add a new emulator to your list first, then take the wizard to configure it.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 4th January 2007 at 23:07.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Btw, here's the config file, should be easy to get it running. The ROMs you downloade work fine.

Other frontend you can try is GameEx, I just got working MAME in that one too, even easier than with MAMEWah.
    Attached Files Attached Files

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The config programme appears to have sorted it, it now detects the games plus a few more I downloaded. I'm off to download a MAME rom set.

Thanks Demon!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad you got MAMEWah to work in the end, it can be a little confusing to begin with until you know how it works. Having a frontend setup using MAMEWah is really cool and definitely adds a nice touch when browsing through the games.