Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great.

I see what you mean about Closer. The contrast is quite bad making it hard to see a lot of the graphics. Also I seem to remember it running much smoother on my Amiga than it is in that video. Some of the sections seem to really slow down to 1 fps.

Did you notice that youtube has a lot of other CNCD demo videos too? I will add the one for Killer.

To make it possible to search for games and demos that include videos and audio files I'm going to add a couple of tick boxes to the edit page today. Therefore when adding a video or audio file to a page if you could all tick the box for "video" or "audio" then when someone does a search using the left hand advanced search window they will be able to tick video and audio to search directly for all demos and games that contain either.

As you don't yet have many videos on the site this isn't too much hassle to quickly go back and edit these pages to tick the boxes, but it might take a bit longer for audio as I know quite a few audio clips have now been added to both the game and demo sections. If you have added any please can you spend some time going back and ticking them all so we have the search up to date.

I'm going to add these tick boxes today so expect them to be a part of the site sometimes this afternoon.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I've now updated all of the demo entries that have videos so they are included when searching for productions with videos included.

Demo Videos

To Staff: Please edit and tick the Video Included tick box if I've missed any out. (See Staff/Site Content for more info).

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    The videos aren't top quality, a bit blurry, but they are good enough.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is more down to how YouTube and other video hosting sites compress their videos into Flash video when you upload them. It reduces the filesizes and streaming rates by a lot using blurring techniques.

I think that once I know the site is no longer sometimes causing the server to crash every so often (hopefully I found the cause the other day) then I am going to consider hosting the originals of these video files on our server so we have much better quality video to show visitors. But I do also need to work out what sort of impact that might have on our bandwidth traffic and if that could slow the site down. We will see. For the moment I'm sticking with the streaming web videos just so we get a load onto the site.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there an efficent lossless (PNG like) encoder for video that could be used with game videos at least?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are a lot of lossless codecs available, but due to how lossless works the files can end up huge. But there are also lossless Flash video encoders available so that may work by first creating a lossless encoded video file capture from a game and then feeding it through the Flash encoder. I've not tried it this way though so don't know what sort of quality or final filesizes you would get.

I can see your logic behind wanting to use a lossless codec as you should be able to restrict to just the 32/256 colours in actual use on the Amiga when capturing the video. But equally this might produce very large files as it would probably need to store each individual frame much like the mjpeg video format used by older video editing systems. In contrast with a format like MPEG or DivX every frame of video isn't stored in the file. Instead a reference keyframe is stored every so many specified frames, and reference data is then stored between these frame for the differences between the last keyframe and the next. This is why when you skip through a DixV film it sometimes takes a few seconds for the video to clean up as it needs to reach the next keyframe to obtain a full image.

The blurring and sometimes jerky framerates seen in YouTube and other video site streams are due to this keyframe technique. These sites reduce the framerate and bit rate of all files you upload to them, as well as applying blurring techniques and reducing the number of key frames per second to minimise the final filesize and therefore lower the bandwidth required to stream them. Even if you upload good quality videos to youtube you will not always get good end results.

As for local files on our own server, we don't have those issues, although we do still need to consider size and streaming speed because if a video file is quite large people will give up waiting for it to stream and start to play. This is the other reason for youtube's harsh compression. When you watch one of their video's they will normally start to playback within a few seconds of clicking play and won't normally drop out and pause while they buffer more data. Which is a common problem with bigger videos that require more bandwidth.

Therefore we need to find a balance so that we can create files that are small enough that they begin streaming back footage within seconds of playback, but that don't blur or become pixelated or jerky.

I will be experimenting very soon with a lot of different codecs and compression techniques to find what the best sets and codecs are for the site. I will capture a series of video sequences from Amiga games and demos and then play around with lots of different codecs and encoding techniques. I will then post the best results so you can all decide which we should go for. Then we will hopefully have what we think are the best settings to use for our videos.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison
    I see what you mean about Closer. The contrast is quite bad making it hard to see a lot of the graphics. Also I seem to remember it running much smoother on my Amiga than it is in that video. Some of the sections seem to really slow down to 1 fps.
    I know, it's a really bad encoding. I tried downloading the video linked at pouet.net thinking I'd upload that if it was better, and it turns out it's the same one. Makes sense actually. But fortunately, I did in the end uh.. 'find' a much better version of it which I have linked to instead. Much prettier now.

Would be great if we could host our own videos like you're discussing now. Hopefully you can find a good quality vs size balance, so it won't be a problem with storage space and bandwidth usage. Looking forward to seeing what you find out.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The new one is much better. Its hard to believe its the same demo!

I'm wondering if the other one was recorded on an Amiga that wasn't quite powerful enough to run it at full speed.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @Teho

Would be great if we could host our own videos like you're discussing now. Hopefully you can find a good quality vs size balance, so it won't be a problem with storage space and bandwidth usage. Looking forward to seeing what you find out.
    Any news concerning the hosting of videos, Harrison?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can already upload and host videos on the classicamiga server. Details of the ftp upload details are available in the staff ftp pinned topic, and how to link to them on the site is in the staff tutorials.