Thread: PDF SPAM!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

PDF SPAM!

Has anyone else been receiving SPAM emails latest that contain PDF attachments? I've received about 10 of these in the part week and am not sure of the purpose of them. AFAIK PDFs cannot contain any malicious code, so what is their point?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Same here.

I believe PDF spam can be used to circumvent most conventional spam filters, which is the main reason they're doing it. Also, I believe there was an exploit a while back that made it possible to execute malicious code through Acrobat documents and older versions of IE/Firefox. Sometimes I wonder how these kids manage to find the exploits ... if they spent their time doing something at school instead, the world would be a much better place.

Same for spammers, of course. No one reads spam, and I'd be surprised if they ever even got one sale out of their product adverts. SO WHY DO IT?

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, recieved plenty and it seems neither GMail nor Mozilla Thunderbird spam filters are catching them at present. Nothing we can do I guess except flag them as spam and hope the filters learn quickly.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't think I've had any recently, but if they got caught by my spam fiter, I won;t have seen them.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope, I rarely get any in my inbox, always in the junk folders
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I tend to get more SPAM than most due to my main email address being directly linked from the contact page on the main site. Even with SPAM filters at the server end, and running locally, some does still get through. You may think this means the filters are not working or setup correctly, but that is far from the case. The server catches around 1000 SPAM emails sent to my main account every day! And the local one catches about 40 more a day that get past the server. This does leave me with just these new PDF SPAMs sometimes getting past both and ending up in my inbox. Probably one a day at the moment.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never got any here at work, I get no spam at all at work. I get a lot of spam at home, because I have nothing set up to block them in Outlook Express. And I delete them immediately every time, so I don't know if they also send me PDF spam.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now it's Excel .xls files that they're sending. These potentially could contain malicous code and again neither the GMail nor Thunderbird filters are picking up 100% of them yet.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Only use a local filter.
    Haven't configured it much.
    The pdf spams seem to be on the increaee.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep! I'm also now getting a few Excel .xls attachments in spam emails arriving in my inbox. I've started teaching the spam filter to catch them and it is already started to spot most of them.

As you say, Excel files are just as dangerous as Word .doc documents if you try to open them as they can contain full VB scripts embedded in them designed to do anything.