Hybrid View

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Problems with having photos processed

After the recent discussion about films, I was wondering if anyone here has ever had any problems with getting there films (or maybe even digital photos) processed?

Recently, I had 4 photos on my digital camera that I want printed. So I took them to ASDA. Later that evening, they telephones me to say that someone had put a bad CD into the system and my photos had been lost, so I had to go and put my photos back on their system. I also asked them to put my slides onto a CD for me. There was a little bit of confusion with this, because it was slide film that had been developed, but had not been mounted. They decided that they put them into the machine the same way as negatives.

So, I go back on Sunday to collect my digital prints and CD, and I get the digital ones, but they could not do the CD due to a problem with the machine. They said they'd telephone me when it's ready.

Now, I got a phone call this morning from Asda, saying that they can not do my CD because my photos are not negatives.

I don't know whether that is because they don't have any common sense, or whether the machine that they have can ONLY deal with mounted slides and negatives. Does anyone have any recomendations on film scanners so I can do it myself?

Other than that I don't think I have ever had any problems with photos.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You've got to remember that in most supermarkets, the photo guy is really just a general member of staff that knows how to use 'the photo machine'. Give them anything that isn't 35mm/APS film or .jpg digital photos and chances are they won't have a clue.

I have had problems in the past getting films developed, plenty of photos have come back with quality control stickers on them but that was usually down to using a cheapo disposable camera.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I recommend you instead find your local Kodak store and give them a visit. They will be much more clued up and might even be able to do your prints and CD while you wait. In the past I've found them to be very helpful and good.

Or go to a branch of Jessops as they are pretty good too.

Trying to get a supermarket photolab to do anything out of the ordinary is a tall order as Alex said.

They probably got confused with the slide film as their automatic film scanner is probably expecting negatives so if they scan you slide film through it the software were end up inverting the colours, producing a negative picture. That is easy to fix at home yourself but a store such as Kodak should be able to do what you wish without such hassles.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have never had a problem with Asda for normal negative film. In fact, they are my prefered choice of shop for normal film.

I'll get Harrison Cameras to do it for me. They are a nice little shop who will know what they are doing (I took the film there to be developed).

I have never had photos with quality control stickers on though. What sort of photos have they appeared on? I have had plenty of crap photos, mostly ones which have come from my Kodak Star EF. I don't think it winds the film on properly for some reason. I'll have to investigate, although there isn't much that can go wrong with it when you have to wind it on manually.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Harrison Cameras". If the name is anything to go by then they should be great!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    "Harrison Cameras". If the name is anything to go by then they should be great!
    lol

We've not had any trouble with them in the past. They have a nice little shop, and the printed the very big photgraph that we have in our living room.

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    I have never had photos with quality control stickers on though. What sort of photos have they appeared on?
    Ones which the colour hasn't come out correctly (e.g. all red photo), where the film didn't develop properly (usually on photos 25,26 etc. of a 24 exposure film) or where the film hasn't wound properly and the photos are split over frames (so you get some of a photo on the end of one frame and then another part of it on the start of another).

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

I look forward to Ste posting about his problems after the visit to Harrisons.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I fully expect him to get exemplary service and top quality results.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are actually a very good shop, so I'm sure I will get good service.

I will be continuing to print all my digital photos myself though now. I have determined that original Canon ink cartridges + good paper = a very nice photograph.