Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The only downside of WHDLoad is that it won't work with cracked copies of games most of the time. So either the original games on floppy or via the CAPS (now SPS) versions of the games.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If i was to pick up an A1200 with kikstart 3.0 rom is there any way of upgrading it to 3.1. There is one going on ebay with a HD and a blizzard 030 with 128mb but with kickstart 3.0. I would bid on it if there was a way to upgrade the kickstart.
    Actually I would really appreciate some advice on how much you guys recon a system like this is worth- i dont mind paying but i dont want to get ripped off!
    Last edited by toomanymikes; 10th August 2007 at 16:58. Reason: additional text
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, you can buy 3.1 kickstart roms separately. They are socketed so not that hard to swap over. You just open up the A1200 and swap them over. Expect to pay about £20 for a set of 3.1 roms.

As for the A1200 you mention, I would expect a price of about £100-150 depending on interest. If you take the included parts individually the A1200 with KS 3.0 roms is worth about £35 and the Blizzard accelerator about £90. 128MB of ram is a really good amount too for Workbench related use.

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Fantastic - I have just won an A1200 with 120 mb HD and workbench 3.1 pre installed with disks and 50 games for 43 squid of ebay! Was this a good deal or have i been burnt? I dont really care cos im so happy to have an amiga that i always wanted winging its way to me as we speak. I'll see how i get on with the HD but i may upgrade it and buy an accelerator at the same time over the next month or two. So happy!
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Compared to the prices that are common in Norway, you've made an excellent deal. 1200's goes for a lot more than that over here.

As for the UK, I think it sounds ok, so I don't think you've been burned at all.

I see that you mention 50 games. Are we talking originals here, or are they just copied ones? I presume they are copies.

I'm sure you are looking forward to set up the machine and turn it on for the first time. It's a magic feeling for sure. Hope everything will be in order when its all hooked up.

As has been mentioned by others here, a turbo-card will make a huge difference. This is especially true if you have some fast-RAM mounted on it. I've had a 68030 50mhz Blizzard Mark IV with 16MB fast for many years now, and everything runs smoother than on a vanilla 1200. You'll especially notice the effects of the card in demos, more demanding games, and last but not least - when you are using Workbench.

Have fun with your new machine!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    My guide suggests a price of around £35-£40 for a basic A1200 so £43 for one with the 3.1 chips and 50 games seems a good deal.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, definitely sounds like a good deal to me too.

Next wait for the Dragon Coldfire to be released and then buy one of those and a Dbox 1200 and you will be sorted.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Congrats man! That's a steal, especially compared to how much we had to pay for the stuff back then. Looking back, it's a mystery how Commodore managed to go bankrupt with the amount of money we were feeding them

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Commodore US were not making money is the answer to that one! Us Europeans, as well as the Australians were keeping the US parent company afloat for a long time before the end.