Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Favourite C64 games

I love the C64 and I still play my C64 and games the colours, graphics, sound and music are so good on C64 you dont get games like this anymore.

I use to go to the paper shop go to a little corner alclove and stand staring at a shelf of tapes ranging from under £1 upwards.

CJ Elephant Antics, Cops and Robbers, The last ninja games, Bomb Jack and Back to the future 2, Flimbos Quest, Indiana Jones and the temple of doom, and citadel, Dizzy games are some of my most favourite C64 games.

I also had and still do have an Acorn electon with all my games Last Ninja on Acorn electron was and is one of the best versions i have seen.

What were your favourite C64 games.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are so many, I'll list only 3:

- Bruce Lee
    - Paradroid
    - Racing Destruction Set

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As some of you know I didn't have a C64, but instead was the owner of the Amstrad CPC464.

The two systems did share a lot of games so I probably got to play many of the same titles as C64 owners. Some of my favourite Amstrad CPC games were:

- Spin Dizzy
    - 1943: Battle of Midway
    - California Games
    - Winter Games
    - Summer Games
    - Gryzor
    - Gauntlet II
    - Knight Lore
    - Marble Madness
    - Operation Wolf
    - Pipe Mania
    - Rygar
    - Renegade
    - Target Renegade
    - Sabre Wulf
    - Robin Hood (digitized speech on the CPC!)
    - The Way of the Exploding Fist
    - Pulsator
    - ATF (Advanced Tactical Fighter)
    - Alien Break-In
    - Xevious
    - Sorcery Plus
    - Q-Bert
    - Cauldron
    - Chiller
    - Commando
    -

There was also a big compilation of CPC games I bought at the time that contained some great games, but I cannot remember the name of most of them. I think Spin Dizzy was part of the collection though so I will have a search later and see what compilations contained that.

Did anyone play Ranarama? I never got to play this on any 8-bit system, but it came free on the welcome disk of the Atari ST when I bought one and it was a great game that I know originally came out for the C64 and CPC.

And there is another game I'm trying to remember the name of. It was originally a ZX Spectrum game, but was then released on the CPC and Atari ST. It was a platform game where you started at the top of the level and had to drop down into cave systems. You you find rocket pads that you could use to move around thrust style and land on docking pads to refuel them. There was also a lot of objects you could collect around the levels, and I remember a telephone booth being used to teleport between different booths you had already visited. The graphics were very ZX Spectrum like with each sprite being a single colour. Does anyone know what the game could be?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    You named also a few arcade games, which I don't really count as C64 games, as they just were ported to other computers/consoles.

Spindizzy was a great game, and very tough to play through, and guess what, the ending is one of the crappiest ever seen, once you have collected the final jewel, a message appears, which says, "YOU HAVE COMPLETED 100% of screens, 100% of jewels, 100% of game. SURVEY COMPLETE". That's it?

It was a platform game where you started at the top of the level and had to drop down into cave systems.
    I immediately thought of Hero, but when reading further, it isn't Hero.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is true that some of the games I listed are originally arcade games and therefore inferior to the originals, but for me the first time I got to experience these games as on the CPC, so for me this is the version I remember of them the most fondly.

I'm sure the game I'm trying to remember is two words, if that helps.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    but for me the first time I got to experience these games as on the CPC, so for me this is the version I remember of them the most fondly.
    I played them all first in the arcades, because that was before the C64 was even released, so I already knew the games when they were converted.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Out of my list the games I played in the arcade include:

- Gryzor (as Contra)
    - Gauntlet II
    - Operation Wolf
    - Rygar
    - Xevious
    - Q-Bert
    - Commando

So OK, there were quite a few I did play in the arcades, but I'm not sure if I managed to play them all before the CPC versions, or because I knew them from the CPC versions at a later date. It is hard to remember. But due to a lack of money in those days I mostly only played the arcade versions a couple of times each at most.

I do remember waiting for the home version of Operation Wolf to be releases as all my friends and I loved that game in the arcades and played it a lot. The 8-bit versions of it were not so great though as the joystick control hampered the gameplay badly. The 16-bit mouse controlled versions were much better.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    As some of you know I didn't have a C64, but instead was the owner of the Amstrad CPC464.

The two systems did share a lot of games so I probably got to play many of the same titles as C64 owners. Some of my favourite Amstrad CPC games were:

- Spin Dizzy
    - California Games
    - Winter Games
    - Summer Games
    - Gryzor
    - Gauntlet II
    - Knight Lore
    - Marble Madness
    - Operation Wolf
    - Pipe Mania
    - Rygar
    - Renegade
    - Target Renegade
    - Sabre Wulf
    - Robin Hood (digitized speech on the CPC!)
    - The Way of the Exploding Fist
    - Pulsator
    - ATF (Advanced Tactical Fighter)
    - Alien Break-In
    - Xevious
    - Sorcery Plus
    - Q-Bert
    - Cauldron
    - Chiller
    - Commando
    -

There was also a big compilation of CPC games I bought at the time that contained some great games, but I cannot remember the name of most of them. I think Spin Dizzy was part of the collection though so I will have a search later and see what compilations contained that.

Did anyone play Ranarama? I never got to play this on any 8-bit system, but it came free on the welcome disk of the Atari ST when I bought one and it was a great game that I know originally came out for the C64 and CPC.

And there is another game I'm trying to remember the name of. It was originally a ZX Spectrum game, but was then released on the CPC and Atari ST. It was a platform game where you started at the top of the level and had to drop down into cave systems. You you find rocket pads that you could use to move around thrust style and land on docking pads to refuel them. There was also a lot of objects you could collect around the levels, and I remember a telephone booth being used to teleport between different booths you had already visited. The graphics were very ZX Spectrum like with each sprite being a single colour. Does anyone know what the game could be?
    Some of the games on your list were some of my favourite games on C64 espcially The Way of the Exploding Fist it is one of my favourite games the music the and the graphics are awsome and couldron was excellent there was a spin off sequel to cauldron on Mega CD called wiz and liz.

Whe I got C64 new it included C64, 3D Glasses, a light gun and a few games to use the 3D glasses and Light gun with such as Jail break were the prsion wall blasted open and you had to shoot all the prisoners so they dident escpae using the light gun and I got alot of other games with it like this including Xevious the 3D galsses were good but they give you headakes. Preadtor was a excllent game aswell.

Does anyone remeber the Atari ST advert it featuired the Song "Sun shine on the rain again"

I remember Rana Rama Atari ST game and the intro the music was good but I never had the game.

The was an awsome game on C64 called Vindaloo which actually means find the loo, you had a little man and you had to go up and down lots of levels and floors using lifts and ladders to get to the toliet.

Was the game you were trying to think of solar Jet man or Jetpac.

Horace Goes Sking was one of my most favourite ZX Spetrum games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o3s0...elated&search=

Also Jet Set Willy.
    Last edited by Blue Jedi; 7th August 2007 at 14:39. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a short list of my C64 favourites:

- California Games
    - Commando
    - Operation Wolf

I didn't own the C64 when it was at its height, as I had an MSX Spectravideo. That's why the list is so short.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by P G View Post
    Here's a short list of my C64 favourites:

- California Games
    - Commando
    - Operation Wolf

I didn't own the C64 when it was at its height, as I had an MSX Spectravideo. That's why the list is so short.
    Californian Games is a great game and Operation wolf was great for under a £1 we could have Operation wolf for C64 you dont get the guns that the arcade cabinet has though.

Commando and 1942 are neat games.

I never had an MSX spectravideo but there are some good remakes of games for it there is an awsome MSX spectravison remake of the Gonnies here http://goonies.jorito.net/
    I prefer the Nes version of goonies if you like the Nes version of gonnies its exactly the same only based on the MSX spectravideo version.