Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dreamcast

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, very slow, especially as the modem in most UK and US DCs was only a 33K one! Only the Japanese version has a 56K modem. There was an Ethernet adaptor available for the DC, but it was quite rare and expensive, but I expect some groups had access to these too, speeding up the process by a lot.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

The Dreamcast is my favourite console of all time, I have over 40 odd games for it - since it's death, games have been so easy to pick up cheap.

Best games being:

Sonic Adventure
    Toy Commander
    Shenmue (I & II)

*Tin hat on*

Walt Disney Magical Racing Tour

I'm not kidding, this was a huge surprise to me, a real good pick up and play game, a bit like Mario Kart.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not to talk about Skies of Arcadia, excellent RPG

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For me the Dreamcast contains something special much like the Amiga. They are both systems that you play and enjoy, but also give you a sense of the passion that was put into their creation. Something you don't get from many systems.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    For me the Dreamcast contains something special much like the Amiga. They are both systems that you play and enjoy, but also give you a sense of the passion that was put into their creation. Something you don't get from many systems.

So true.

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Yep, that really somes it up. The Dreamcast is another system I keep coming back to! Brilliant original games that blew my mind when they first came out! Remember the first time you played Soul Calibur!!!! Those were the days!

Not to mention Shenmue - A masterpiece! I really hope they make #3 but i doubt it's commercially viable after the aparant huge costs and mediocre sales of the last two.

And since i found out it boots CDRs...well...

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Talking about Shenmue, did you know that Sega did actually make a kind of sequel to the Shenmue series? Called Yakuza. Not sure if the first of these games was released in the west, but Yakuza 2 has just been released in the UK for the PS2 (2 years after its original Japan release).

I've not yet had chance to play Yakuza 2 but do have a copy of the game. Edge gave it a good review so that can't be a bad thing.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I played Yakuza on the PS2, decent game, a bit tedious, seems that the sequel is a bit better. I have it, but never got the time to test it yet. Shenmue hass by far the better game experience.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is true. Shenmue's plot and story were very intriguing and drew you in, plus the side games, collectibles and side quests all felt like they were somehow linked into the main game. But with Yakuza the same additional content feels like it is just added because it can be, and not because it is in any way a part of the game. The main story and gameplay are good though.

Mostly Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are some good homebrews and emus on the dreamcast as well - which is another reason i keep going back to it.

A good site i use is snesorama.us Some of the stuff i have found on there i would never have thought you could do on a DC. Although emulation isnt perfect with some systems it feels better than playing old games on a PC (nice big tv and a brilliant controller!)

come to think of it i wonder what the situation of emulating an amiga on it is, if any!?