Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    In my opinion they'll be stuck forever, but I'd like to see a comeback with a decent console, to relaunch the console wars into a new adventure.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea that would be awesome...have four or five main players, that would be interesting. But pretty sure it would be annoying for anyone who collects consoles
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Submeg View Post
    So do you think that Sega will rise back to prominance? Or will they be stuck forever?
    Did you know that the first Xbox is the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast?

When Sega stopped hardware development, M$ got them on board to help them with development of the online aspects of the Xbox. The Xbox controller was also heavily inspired by the Dreamcast one.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why would Sega do that?! Are they crazy! who wants more money to go to m$?

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Everyone is running a business and wants to make money. At the time Sega were hard up, with their profit margins in the red. But due to the Dreamcast Sega at the time were the first console manufacturer with experience of actually running a console gaming network.

M$ were convinced that the future of gaming was via co-op online communities and who better to ask at the time for help than the only company who actually had real world experience of setting up and successfully running just that, Sega.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Didn't own a Dreamcast myself, but I did get to play it every once in a while over at friends' places. Like AlexJ, I was holding out for the Playstation 2 (which was touted as being 'the best thing since sliced bread'). Didn't have enough dosh back then to get both, so I ended up with just one console in the previous generation.

What I remember fondly are the discussions I've had with Dreamcast fans over on the IGN boards. It seemed to me that Dreamcast fanboys were some of the most rabid there could be, and that rabidness carried over to the Xbox generation. Then again, I never frequented the Dreamcast and Xbox forums, so I don't really know how obnoxious the PS2 fanboys were

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    man we are all nice ppl lol

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to say that the Dreamcast-phase largely passed me by. I wasn't really good friends with anyone that owned one so never got to play on one other tahn a quick go on demo machines in shops. I played Crazi Taxi and thought it was great - and some penguin-sliding-on-ice racer that was rubbish.

Always was quite interested in Shenmue though, that sounded like it could be fun. Oh, and Radiant Silvergun and Bangai-o too, I suppose (I've heard a lot about them but never got to try them properly). I doubt I'll ever get round to trying one properly.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    @JT

Just buy one from eBay, as it costs almost nothing, so you have a console, and can also test the games you want.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It would be tempting, apart from the fact I'm trying to get rid of junk, not accumulate more things to take up space (I'm not calling the DC junk, but you know what I mean). Also I don't really have time to play many of the modern games I have, let alone previous gen ones I missed.

Although, what is the state of play for 'backups' on the Dreamcast?