Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Classicamiga Darwin Awards

Inspired by this site, let's discuss what dumbass things we, the Classicamiga visitors, have done that have almost gotten us killed.

I'll start.

Two years ago, I was in a hurry to get to work. At the subway station, there was this area they'd closed off with a few lengths of cord due to construction work. Because the subway train was already about to depart, and I had no time to go around the construction site, I decided it was a good idea to jump over the thing, Carl Lewis style. All that to save, you know, 2 seconds of time. I mean, the cord was only knee-height! I mean, fsuck that, a 5-year old could do that.

So here I come, running at full speed, weaving left and right to avoid people ... I jump over the cord ... but what I had failed to notice, was that the bastards had fastened a second cord there, suspended at neck height.

The triple corkscrew backflip I involuntarily made then was fabulous.

The way the back of my head made contact with concrete wasn't.

By the time I realised what had happened, there was this copper holding my head, asking me to stay still, while a colleague of his called the ambulance. I didn't even know how bad it was until I saw the pool of blood I was lying in. Never knew I had so much, I can tell you.

In the end, it turned out I had no concussion, nor was the head wound very large (still have the scar though), but I know that if I had landed less favourably then, I could've broken my fool neck.

So do you have any similar stories to tell? Maybe something a friend or acquaintance of yours did? Share them, cos' we could always use a good laugh

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Umm... I think we all have moments where we forget to take our common sense with us when we do things, but I don't think I've done anything on quite that scale. Sounds like you were lucky.

About the only times I can remember is when I was young, doing stupid things like wondering how well I could bounce down the stairs on a space hopper and ending up losing control and bouncing right out through the glass window next to the front door at the bottom! Oops!.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good idea.
    Bit tired now, but I will see what I can remember and post something over the weekend.

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Where to begin...
    On my second birthday I ran through the house and tripped on the threshold to the bathroom, which was being done up, and slit my eyebrow on a nail - still have the scar.
    When i was about 13 i tried to jump over a small retaining wall at the bootom of a hill on my bike but my front wheel didnt quite make it and resuted in me landing on my head with the bike on top of me - i lost an eyebrow, same one, and now when its cold the scars on my cheek come up red.
    When I was 18 i pulled a few all nighters for uni cos i was making a model. I woke up after falling asleep for a few hours with blood gushing out of my arm - i had fallen asleep on a scalpel blade...
    When I was 19 I slipped on some beer when up dancing in a club and went over my ankle, but continued to dance for about 2 hours. In the morning it looked like there weas a golf ball under my skin - I had broken a bone in my foot.
    Finally - just last year i was making apple crumble but i couldnt find the corer so i decided to use my nice new sharp knife. So sharp that i went through the apple, which i was still holding in my hand, and only stopped when it hit the bone in my left index finger tip. I didnt core the apple but I had managed to skin about a third of my finger end.
    I'm a disaster zone.
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That does sound like a series of escalating accidents. If you continue like this I hate to think what injuries you will be inflicting on yourself in another 20 years!

The bike accident reminded me of one I had years ago. I had one of those cool 70's choppers and was racing around the roads near my house when suddenly the front wheel dropped down through a storm drain grill and got wedged. I short straight off the bike forwards through the bap between the handlebars, getting the bike tangled up around me and landed on my leg, gashing it open badly. Luckily I wasn't far from my house so managed to drag myself up to the front door (with the bike still tangled around me), and on my mum opening the door her first words were... "What have you done to your bike now!"

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    "What have you done to your bike now!"
    That is sooo typical, first asking about collateral damage.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Since, when asking her any question, before I would begin the question would usually be "How much is it going to cost me?"

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, the word "Moo-oom" immediately got the reply "What do you want!".

Competent Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, the only person I'm still afraid of is my mum... When I fell off my bike I actually cycled 5 miles up to a hospital near where I lived and pretended I had fell off there cos she told me not to cycle in town!
    [I]Such heroic nonsense[/I]

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanymikes View Post
    Where to begin...
    On my second birthday I ran through the house and tripped on the threshold to the bathroom, which was being done up, and slit my eyebrow on a nail - still have the scar.
    When i was about 13 i tried to jump over a small retaining wall at the bootom of a hill on my bike but my front wheel didnt quite make it and resuted in me landing on my head with the bike on top of me - i lost an eyebrow, same one, and now when its cold the scars on my cheek come up red.
    When I was 18 i pulled a few all nighters for uni cos i was making a model. I woke up after falling asleep for a few hours with blood gushing out of my arm - i had fallen asleep on a scalpel blade...
    When I was 19 I slipped on some beer when up dancing in a club and went over my ankle, but continued to dance for about 2 hours. In the morning it looked like there weas a golf ball under my skin - I had broken a bone in my foot.
    Finally - just last year i was making apple crumble but i couldnt find the corer so i decided to use my nice new sharp knife. So sharp that i went through the apple, which i was still holding in my hand, and only stopped when it hit the bone in my left index finger tip. I didnt core the apple but I had managed to skin about a third of my finger end.
    I'm a disaster zone.
    Damn, that is a LOT of injuries
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/