Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Current console sales figures

Keep up to date with the current console sales figures.

These figures get updated regularly so use this page to see who is winning the next gen war.

Update: It seems these figures have not been updating for some time, and the site they come from has very old of date figures listed. I've therefore posted official current figures at the bottom of this thread instead.
    Last edited by Harrison; 24th February 2011 at 14:49.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Vintage gamer and metal head LowercaseE's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's great to see Sony at the bottom of the list! Granted the 360 has a huge time lead on it, but the Wii doesn't and it's sales are almost triple that of the PS3. Nothing would make me happier that to see the PS3 fail.... Well, maybe seeing lgf go out of business would be better.
    --------DO NOT SUPPORT LIONSGATE FILMS-------

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't forget that the low PS3 sales are currently due to it's limited availability. All currently manufactured and released PS3's have been sold to date, with demand far outstripping supply. It's also not yet released in Europe until March.

Once the PS3 manufacturing is finally fully up to speed (once the blue laser issues are sorted) it will be interesting to see how the true sales of the PS3 stack up against the other two systems.

Remember the same thing happened with the PS2 on launch.

It is also great to see the Wii taking off so well at launch, and no one has a bad thing to say about the system yet (other than it's quite bad hardware failure rates which have been stated as high as 1/3 by some sources which if true is not so good). It sales so far and the enthusiasm for the system from most people truly shows that Nintendo are back with a great system and their direction of not trying to push hardware spec boundaries, but instead concentrating on gameplay and innovative control interaction seems to so far be paying off.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't forget that the low PS3 sales are currently due to it's limited availability. All currently manufactured and released PS3's have been sold to date, with demand far outstripping supply.
    Apparently not

As linked to on the WoS forums earlier, the PS3 sellers on eBay aren't getting as much cash as they'd hoped for.

I've got nothing against the PS3 and think that it will be a reasonable success eventually, but at the moment am finding it quite funny seeing Sony getting a bit of a kick in the nuts.

LowercasE, what's the beef with Lionsgate Studios?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting. It's hard to know how true the facts are about the sales of the PS3 so far. I know that in Japan (according to sources I read) that they sold out fast. Some places in the US probably won't sell the PS3 as well as others due to the type of people in that region.

Also you have to consider the cost of the system compared to say the Wii. Also the fact that many may put off purchasing the system if they don't yet have an HD TV set.

Vintage gamer and metal head LowercaseE's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    LowercasE, what's the beef with Lionsgate Studios?
    I don't like the fact that they purposefully change/cut films to suit their need (HAUTE TENSION, THE DESCENT, and others) and that they purposefully misframe films so that Joe Idiot's TV screen will be filled (LORD OF WAR was purposefully cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 for DVD release). They also release a TON of absolute dreck that has no business ever being released.
    --------DO NOT SUPPORT LIONSGATE FILMS-------

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good grief, the Wii has sold well. I do hope this continues (I'm sure it will).

Out of interest, how does it compare to other system launches (esp X360 and PS2)

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The PS2 launch was sold out as, much like the PS3, it was in very short supply at launch. I'm not sure about the 360 though.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Feb 2011 Console sales figures

Looking at current console sales, the Wii and 360 markets have been slowing down greatly, and the PS3 is quickly gaining ground. It seems M$ and Nintendo have saturated their markets and have fewer new customers interested.

Analysts are even now saying that Sony will go on to win the current generation console wars!

This quoted from Techspot:

Avid gamers are quick to defend their platform of choice, often exchanging heated words over features, [COLOR=#05408F ! important][COLOR=#05408F ! important]exclusive[/COLOR][/COLOR] titles, and even company policy. In the end, there isn't one platform that's "best" for everyone, but Strategy Analytics believes the PlayStation 3 will win the console war in terms of lifetime sales.

Despite Nintendo's current lead, the research firm expects Sony to ship 127 million PS3 consoles over the lifetime of the [COLOR=#05408F ! important][COLOR=#05408F ! important]current [COLOR=#05408F ! important]console [/COLOR][COLOR=#05408F ! important]generation[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR], compared to 103 million Wii systems. "Nintendo has done a great job with the Wii in bringing console games to new audiences," said analyst David Mercer, "but its sales are now falling, particularly in mature markets, and its install base will peak in 2011." In contrast, ownership of both the PS3 and [COLOR=#05408F ! important][COLOR=#05408F ! important]Xbox[/COLOR][/COLOR] 360 will reach their highest points between 2012 and 2014.

Mercer also noted that this year's global market for consoles is likely to fall again, after a 6% decline last year. Strategy Analytics predicts that 47.5 million consoles will ship worldwide in 2010, a 9% decline. The [COLOR=#05408F ! important][COLOR=#05408F ! important]Wii[/COLOR][/COLOR] will represent most of that drop, while sales of the PS3 and Xbox 360 are expected to increase.

So on to the current sales figures to date:

1. Wii- 84.64 million
    2. Xbox 360 - 50 million
    3. Playstation 3 - 47.9 million

And just for comparision, Handheld sales figures to date:

1. Nintendo DS - 144.59 million
    2. Game Boy Advance - 81.51 million
    3. Playstation Portable - 62 million

It is expected that PS3 will over take Xbox 360 in the next few months, and as quoted above, eventually overtake the Wii and end up being the best selling console of this generation by 2014.

The PSP has also been gaining a lot of lost ground in the last couple of years, largely thanks to the Japanese and Asian markets interest in multiplayer games and the release of portable version of some of their favourite online RPGs and Monster Hunting games on the system.

It is expected for the PSP sales to eventually exceed the GBA record, but probably not to catch the NDS, especially with the N3DS being released at the moment expected to boost sales.

It also seems that the Xbox 30 sales were not boosted as much as M$ hoped with the release of Kinect. For many it is too expensive at the moment, but I thing the same is true for the PS3 Move system. As more games take advantage of both systems, and much game games appear this could all change.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's been coming for quite some time. The 360 may have an insurmountable lead in the US, but worldwide, the PS3 has been outselling the 360 pretty much from the start. To be on the verge of overtaking the direct competitor so soon is quite a feat, especially considering:

1. The PS3 launched a full year later
    2. The PS3 has been the more expensive console (by as much as 100 bucks) for pretty much all this time