Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 Price Drop

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

PS3 Price Drop

There were rumours that a PS3 price drop for europe would be announced at E3. As you may have heard, in the US the 60GB model's price was lowered by $100 a week or two ago. In addition, a new 80GB model has been announced. Not sure when or if that one comes to europe. But if you ask me this is pointless, there's little difference between 60 or 80GB. You're going to want to replace it anyway. I allready replaced mine with a 200GB one.

Sadly, at E3 Sony announced that the european price stays where it is. However, there is a new starter pack released which has an additional controller and two games bundled. This pack will cost the same as the old one did. It is to be released immediately, and I hear several stores allready have it in. And those aren't crap titles they're bundling either, apparently you have a choice of several including Resistance, Motorstorm, Genji 2 and Ridge Racer.

And if you don't like that, I guess there's a good chance that retailers will be selling their remaining stock of the original packs at a reduced price, though that hasn't been announced.

So, anyone getting aboard yet? There is still that little detail of there not being very many games worth getting for it yet, I admit. But there are several great-looking ones on their way now, and that new starter pack looks like a good deal to me.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I heard on the news today about some legal issues regarding Sony reducing the price in the US and not Europe. It seems if they can reduce it by that much in one region that they might now have to answer for reasons why they haven't done the same in other regions.

I'm still not getting one yet. Big car service and mot bill this month So will have to wait until the autumn at the earliest now.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are a couple of titles I'm interested in playing already, those being Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Virtua Fighter 5, Resistance: Fall of Man and Virtua Tennis 3, so if they can offer the console at 100 bucks less, I might just hop on board the Sony train once again. I'd still need to get me a good quality HDTV to go with the PS3, but that's been on the wishlist for a while anyway

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Still too expensive
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still too early (expensive? A house and a car are expensive, but not a console).

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dude, my source of income is working 14 hrs a week...I have to pay for overpriced, overtaxed petrol first Im saving for turntables and such anyway
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    Still too early (expensive? A house and a car are expensive, but not a console).
    The PS3 is expensive. It's all relative, the PS3 is expensive when compared to other consoles, and when following past trends, the price will drop. On the other hand it's possible to get a good deal on a car that means it isn't that expensive (for a car).

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I understand what you mean, but I have a different approach.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Whether the PS3 is expensive or not depends entirely on what you want from it. For example, I very much wanted a Blu-ray player. Not enough to buy a stand-alone one at the price they were at (or still is at), but getting a next-gen console and a player together for less than what the stand-alone players cost at the time? I didn't find it expensive at all. Add that a recent firmware upgrade added DVD-movie upscaling, you will have to buy a pretty expensive DVD-player to get one that has better image quality than the one you get with the PS3 right now. These three items alone is in my opinion definitely worth the price of the PS3 and then some.

If you on the other hand don't care about these and other additional features and are only looking for a game console, then yes it seems expensive.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not in a rush to buy one just yet.
    Not exactly flush at the mo.
    Want to see the price drop a bit and see a lot more titles before I get involved.
    The games would also have to be significantly better than on the PS2.
    Haven't seen one in action, so don't know if this is the case or not yet.