Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

What did you get for christmas?

So what did you all get for christmas?

As most of you know, I got the Amiga Format Christmas edition January 1991, with the 2 cover disks. Not read it properly yet but it looks interestesting. They had a competition for an 8833 MKII monitor - the one with coloured bits on it.

I also got a new bike because my old one was getting too small for me and loads of chocolates and some money.

So far I have bought for myself a Cumana external floppy drive for the Amiga which cost me £5 inc P&P off eBid. Just waiting for it to arrive. EDIT: Just checked that magazine and it the same drive (CAX 354 cost £74.99 for Gordon Harwood in 1991. EDIT: Another advert says the RRP is £89.99)
    Last edited by Stephen Coates; 30th December 2006 at 16:25.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The original prices for hardware at the time is always the most amazing thing in old magazines. Harddrives were the most shocking with a 10MB drive costing around £1000 in the late 80's.

I've got some 1984 PC magazines and the hardware prices are quite shocking. I will have a look for them sometime and scan some of them in. Some of the adverts are quite strange too.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I actually remember drooling over 20MB HD's for the Amiga many, many, many years ago. It is strange to think about now, as 20MB is practically nothing compared to the gigantic sizes of modern drives. A friend of mine used to own a 20MB HD which was installed in his A600 - I remember he loaded up Dune 2 and didn't have to swap disks. Lucky guy!

As for Christmas, I'm quite happy. I got the Seinfeld season 7, which was released this Christmas on DVD, from my girlfriend. I have watched a few episodes already and it is great fun. I did also get a couple of interesting books. One in particular about the Japanese during WW2 was very interesting. Let us see, what more? The usual socks from the grandparents and of course some nice t-shirts. A good Christmas all in all!

Average Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got a Wii which is awesome and loads of choccy and i got an f-117a stealth airfix kit (my mother buys me some strange stuff),history of cricket book and dvd,an fcuk travel bag the guiness book of records,gamblings strangest story book, a screaming monkey (mother ?!?!), yahtzee game and a hipflask off me mate whos brother i gave my Wii to. I also got a major hangover on boxing day lol.
    [URL="http://www2.b3ta.com/heyhey16k/"]Hey Hey 16k by Rob Manuel[/URL] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got quite a few Wii games. Some of them I got twice though.

Also cool clothes and one of those remote control UFO things (basically a plastic dome with a massive fan underneath it) which is great but I can't really use it much round here.

Loads of choccies too

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got a new coat from my parents. I've been without a decent waterproof and warm coat for some time now so did need one. Girlfriend hates it though and said it looks like something an old country person would wear! :hmm:

Also got Star Wars Monopoly which I made everyone play on Boxing day, and for my birthday on the 28th I got a cool Star Wars R2D2 telephone from my girlfriend. It's quite huge though and I'm still trying to find somewhere to fit it on my desk.

Other stuff I got included the usual socks, deodorant, new Gillette Fusion razor which is really good (but quite scarry to use the first time with its 5 blades), some new tops from my girlfriend, a history of Ferrari book from Dad, a Beer Stein from my Uncle and Aunt, bottle of red wine... umm... think that is about it. No video games though.

Vintage gamer and metal head LowercaseE's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nothing. I don't participate in "christmas".
    --------DO NOT SUPPORT LIONSGATE FILMS-------

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that due to different religious beliefs? or you just don't like christmas?

BTW, I'm not religious. I don't celebrate Christmas as a religious event personally. I celebrate it as a time to remember friends and relations, have a good time and share presents with each other. Personally I would prefer if it was still called the Winter Solstice! (Before Christians hijached the pagan festival and over wrote it with their own to stop people celebrating the original festivals of the season).

Vintage gamer and metal head LowercaseE's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Is that due to different religious beliefs? or you just don't like christmas?
    A little of both. I don't consider myself "religious" so that aspect of it has no bearing on me. Also, I just don't care for the whole commercialization of the holiday. I do enjoy spending time with family and friends that I don't often see, but I avoid the whole "gift" thing.
    --------DO NOT SUPPORT LIONSGATE FILMS-------

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally I would prefer if it was still called the Winter Solstice!
    In that case, you can call it winter solstice.

but I avoid the whole "gift" thing.
    Me too. I am happy to recieve presents off other people if anyone wants to send me a present, but I don;t buy stuff for other people, and I don;t expect anyone to buy stuff for me.