Thread: Webrings

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Webrings

We are now a member of two popular Webrings, Amiga (run by Amiga.org) and Commodore

These are linked to from the bottom of the Web Links directory on the main site and hopefully will help draw more Amiga fans to the site.

The old classicamiga site did used to be linked to the Commodore webring a few years ago and so I thought I would rejoin the current site to the webrings. Every external link to us helps.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't find Classicamiga at Amiga.org, do you have a link?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Webrings are not direct links from other sites. They are a collection of sites connected together via webring code. When visiting any site in the webring one of the pages will have the webring code on it. You can click next and previous to move through the ring or sites to explore them all and see what is available.

However you can get directly to a directory listing of all sites in a current ring and here are the links to the Amiga and Commodore ring directories for you to take a look:

Commodore ring hub

Amiga ring hub

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool, the more exposure the better
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What other sites are we connected to these days?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is something I've not had so much time to work on recently, and we really do need to to more this year to boost our membership and the interest in the site overall. However, we are far from short of visitors.

Also AFAIK the webrings are still up and running and we are members of them. I haven't checked in a long time though so will to this later today and make sure the rings are still loading on the main site and that the link code is all up to date.

On the main site we alo have a web directory, with over 100 Amiga related sites included. Links to external sites using this method still helps improve search engine rankings, as can be seen as classicamiga.com often pops up on the first page of search results on google. We do also have links from quite a few other sites pointing to classicamiga. These are mostly from people we have helped in the past in some way, or have some link to us, such as Amibay members, people with personal websites and blogs etc... and sites I host on the classicamiga servers such as the Moonstone fan site. We also have a direct advert for the Amiga future magazine on the front page.

We also do now have a fully featured web links directory on these forums (link in the menu bar) but I've not had time to add much into it yet. My idea for this was to more easily allow all forum members to add their own links and then add comments and reviews for them within the directory. So if any of you have some time please add some links and descriptions for them into this new directory as it will continue to help us gain links to outside sites and users. I think I finished setting up all of the permissions for it, but let me know if you can't access it to add content and I will go through it and get it fully working tomorrow.

You may think we don't get too much interest these days based on the number of members logged into the forums each day, but we do get close to 1000 people visiting the forums each day, just not registering or logging in. I think is is mostly down to a us already having a lot of useful posts on the forum and therefore no need to log in to obtain the information they were looking for. Once I finally have the time to update these forums and move us over to the new classicretro.net url, we should definitely look at building better links within the wider retro community outside of just the Amiga one, which to be honest has become a bit stagnated with a lot of trolls and egotistical members.

Equally we still get a lot of people using the main classicamiga.com site. I will have to check the current figures, but last time I checked earlier this month we were getting around 240 thousand unique visitors a month on the site, which whilst not as good as its peak 2 years ago, which was around 400K, it is still an impressive figure. But one I want to look at increasing more again this year.

Saying all this, we can still do better and try to build better links to other sites within the retro community.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    WOA! That's a lot more traffic than I realised! Very impressive! If only my blog got those kind of stats! Haha!