Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    But, now you have your two new HDs in the system don't you have a space HD?
    That is in my barebone PC and both disks are mirrored, so no free space.

What I will try is to restore an image where I still had Kaspersky active, to see if the problem is still present or not. If so, something is wrong with the hardware, otherwise it's a software problem.
    Last edited by Demon Cleaner; 5th July 2007 at 15:07.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Could you try the DVD writer on your other system to see if it works?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Could you try the DVD writer on your other system to see if it works?
    I wanted to try that, but I had no motivation until now, because the whole thing just sucks. And if it works on the barebone, what then? And if it doesn't work there either, what then?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All hardware issues that cannot easily be worked out or fixed suck!

Biggest one I had last year was a system that was very unstable and I never did find out why. It would just hang and reset after a few minutes running. It wasn't overheating, the ram was perfectly fine (testing in another machine), HD was fine (but I formatted it and reinstalled the OS anyway in case that was the problem) and the list goes on, but the damn thing just kept crashing and resetting.

In the end I gave up, stripped it back to it's component parts, used some in my other systems and sold the motherboard and case. Problem solved.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    VICTORY!!!

I tested one thing, that was the SONY rootkit uninstaller, which didn't of course work, but I had to try it, because the last thing I copied was God of War, which is a SONY game.

Luck me, I still had some images. At one moment Kaspersky gave me headaches, so I removed it, and decided to use Antivir and the Windows firewall, the whole together with a validation key. So I still had 2 images on my PC, one with Kaspersky still on it, and one immediately after uninstalling Kaspersky.

So I made a new image, then restored my PC with the one where Kaspersky was still on, and the RW writing still worked fine.

After that, I immediately tried the same with the image that had Kaspersky already removed, and that one worked just fine too.

Then I reinstalled some updates of programs, Antivir update, DVD Identifier, ACE codecs, Firefox updates, ran Spybot, Registry Mechanic... and still the RWs were recognized. When I finished with the updates, which took me about 30 minutes, I restarted the PC, and redid a new image, just in case.

Then I got a new validation key, and also redid the Windows update again which alos worked fine after 2 reboots. I tested the RWs again, and they still work, I just burned a backup on DVD-RW with my Pioneer, which I thought was broken.

So at the moment, it's fine again, and also did an incremental backup with the latest Windows updates.

So here I am again after a long wearing process. Hope it will remain like this now, don't still know what happened. And afterwards it was less work than reinstalling Windows and configuring the PC as it was.

So what have I learned, or better, what have I done well, is doing backups of the system every 2-3 months, it won't take long, but can immensely serve at the end.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is great that you managed to get it all working again. Maybe it was just a system file that became corrupted or something and reverting to the older image replaced that file with an undamaged one.

What software do you use to make an image of your HDs? And do you back them up to DVD, or to another HD?

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Acronis True Image, and backup to another HDD, and backup the image to yet another HDD, so that I have the images twice, and on different HDDs. The image is too big to fit on a single DVD (a bit more than 5GB).

I always used Drive Image from Powerquest, but True Image also lets you make incremental backups, and imo it works better and faster.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Acronis True Image is meant to be really good. I've currently been looking at such programs so might give this one a try. I've not used an HD imaging program for some time, normally just backing up essential files to DVD every so often.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I use it for several years now, because you never know what will happen, and BANG, I can be very happy I did so. And the system images aren't very large, so that is no issue, or no excuse not to make one.