Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wait! Before this games gets anymore in depth, I say SHOTGUN to 10% of all profits. It's only fair
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The planetary evolution thing sounds pretty radical. It would be really cool to land in and walk around a player-designed city. Rob a few elderly people, do some shopping, beat the crap out a snotty youth, if you feel inclined to do so.

To cut down on the complexity, the development of cities could happen via the same concept as seen in A-Train: take care of the logistics, and development happens pretty much automatically. Of course, as the planet's governor, you'll have some control over how your planet and cities develop. I mean, if I want my planet to become the intergalactic version of Las Vegas, or a lush tourist resort a la Phloston Paradise (from the Fifth Element), or a stinking hellhole of an industrial pit, then I should be able to make it happen!

What could also be nice is the ability to design one's own ships - fighters, trading vessels, battlecruisers and gigantic carriers - and see them being used by other players or computer-controlled entities alike.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Elements of player designed ships have been used in Star Wars: An Empire Divided, but I gave up playing that game long before the player ships got introduced, and from what I've heard Lucasart have now completely ruined the game and it plays nothing like it did when it started. A real shame, especially for a big Star Wars fan such as myself.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello all,

Hmm, well I think I would like to make an RPG inspired by some of the science fiction books I have read.

The title I have in mind is called "Last Man" or "The Last Man", and it deals with a ruined future in which humanity had almost reached singularity but failed at it.

Need to think about what design it would be.

On a side note, I currently am working on an idea of my own but it is in an established universe.
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm still waiting for the definitive Star Wars game title. A franchise like that deserves a worthy game - and by that, I don't mean a half-assed podracing simulation.

Ghost, it would be nice to see that idea of yours explored. Maybe a small plot outline to give us some further insight.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think there have been some great Star Wars games over the years. The original arcade Star Wars game is still as playable and fun, the X-Wing and Tie-Fighter games were great along with the latter Alliance. The Dark Forces series of FPS games has always been really good, and the Lego Star Wars games were both great, fun and original. But for me the greatest so far is Knights of the Old Republic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    “The Last Man”

This story is partly inspired by “A world out of time” by Larry Niven and “Orion’s Arm” by various

The player is a late twenty-first century astronaut who is sent with a near light speed starship to a black hole to do some scientific investigations.
    The player was to return to Earth by slingshot around the black hole, returning in a shorter time than the journey to the black hole.

However something goes wrong when the rockets were suppose to fire in order to escape the black hole, they fire to late and through the time warping effects of the black hole the player is sent thousands of perhaps millions of years into the future.

When the player returns to the Solar System he or she finds evidence of interplanetary and possible interstellar warfare, everywhere as his ship’s telescopes discover the wreckages of space craft and destroyed colonies on planets and the moons of Jupiter and Saturn.

Getting closer to the sun the player finds a massive network of habitats surrounding it.
    While trying to hail Earth the ship’s telescopes find most of its cities in ruins, only limited energy emissions are detected.

With no other choice the player takes the lander craft and sets down on the surface.

Here after some exploration the player discovers that in the thousands of years he or she was away technology such as computers, bio engineering, nanotech and many other sciences have been developed to unprecedented scales, allowing the creations of fantastic technologies as well as the creation of whole new kinds of humans such as genetic improved, splices, environment or purpose tailored, cyborgs, bioborgs and such.

Humans have also discovered ways to transfer memories and personalities to computers, creating a form of immortality though the question if the ‘downloaded’ person is the same who entered the process is not answered yet.

Apparently some kind of conflict broke out between humans who became more intelligent through genetic engineering and the ‘downloads’ which resulted in a war that destroyed almost all human civilization.

Unfortunate the player’s arrival hasn’t gone unnoticed and he or she soon finds himself hunted by Genehunters, beings made of human genetic material and technology who are genetically programmed to hunt certain targets.

While trying to avoid them the player meets some of the new humans including a population of ‘near baselines’ who are forced to live in a primitive state to avoid discovery by the Neumans, super intelligent humans who control what is left of Earth.

The player can choose to use some of the fantastic sciences of the future to alter him or herself through genetic engineering, cyborgification, or bioborgification while trying to find the means to fight back and save the population of near baselines.

The player learns that the Genehunters have been sent by the Neumans who require DNA that has been altered as little as possible in order to save their own kind, and they do not care if they violate other beings for it.

Now the player must survive on an Earth that just as much could have been an alien planet, not knowing who could be an ally or an enemy.

The title “The Last Man” is a pun on the fact that he or she is the last ‘baseline’ (normal Homo Sapiens)
    Last edited by Ghost; 7th July 2007 at 00:36. Reason: Correcting a sentence
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's certainly one of the more interesting story outlines I've read. Bravo.

The first thing that comes to mind after reading that is: first person shooter! Yet, I think an FPS wouldn't do your storyline much justice. There's just too much potential for interesting dialogue and interaction between the central character and the future beings, for a shooter to capitalize on that.

Perhaps an action RPG, akin to Baldur's Gate/Diablo/Dungeon Siege?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ghosts idea reminds me very much of the PS2 game series Shin Megami Tensei. Especially Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. Have you played them? If not I highly recommend them.

The style these games use would fit perfectly for The Last Man ideas. The biggest difference is that in the Digital Devil Saga games the characters control demons and can upgrade them, whereas in Ghost's idea it is bio-genetic upgrades instead, more akin to Rogue Trooper.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Sharingan and Harrison,

Thank you both for the responses.

Though it might sound like a FPS script, genetically modified humans and all, the emphasis is on the fact that through the engineering and modifications on them that these new humans, as a person or a group are far superior than a common man.

A normal human astronaut might take a few of the weakest down with a captured laser rifle but don't thing you are getting very far like that
    The alterations were thought up to 'improve' humans, not make them more stupider

Depending on what route the player would take, he or she could improve his own body or replace parts or add parts to it when it comes to cyborgification and bioborgification.

Bio Borg BTW is the organic versions of 'machine' technology, organic structures designed to have the same capabilities or effects like a laser, computer interface or radio.

I really like RPGs but in general I can't stand all the fantasy crap we are thrown to dead with, I can take it in small portions but if the storyline features another dark and demonic foozle come back from the grave to take over the world and it includes elves, orcs and dwarves it looses gameplay fun for me.

These days designers try to stick to much to a formula, let them make exotic fantasy RPGs if they want to make a fantasy RPG, and not something with more elves, orcs and dwarves.

A friend of mine would love to make a RPG based on Greek mythology that is accurate to those stories and myths.