Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hope so.

Well, it'll certianly help with learning other BASICs.

The man I went to see at college say that BASIC isn't that good. Although I suppose it really depends on what you want to do. He did say that we will be doing some Z80 and 68000 assembler during the course

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used Blitz on the PC quite a bit, should really give it a go on the Amiga sometime.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Saying Basic isn't that good always annoys me. As I said above, it contains all of the fundamentals to get starting with programming and teaches the basic structure of coding. Everyone needs to start somewhere and learn the basics of coding.

Basic is known as a high level programming language. This means that the code needs to be interpreted by the language parser and converted on the fly to work with the OS and then the hardware.

A language such as Assembler is known as a low level language because it doesn't need to be passed through a parser and converted when run, because when coded you compile it into machine code that runs natively on the system OS and hardware. This is why many people say such things.

Personally I think that learning assembly language isn't really that useful these days. Learning C++ is the best for application programming once you have a grasp of basic. It can be compiled to machine code level and runs well (Windows and most other OS's including workbench are coding using it for example). And learning C++ makes picking up further portable languages such as Java or web languages such as PHP much easier.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree about Assembler. It is a known fact that people today have powerful hardware. It is no point spending ages in front of your screen trying to sort out 2.5 million bugs anymore, just to get that extra speed. Although, if one is active on older machines like the Amiga, Assembler is worth it in my eyes. On modern PC's, you can easily get by with using Blitz or Dark Basic, C or something similar.

Totally bullshit that BASIC isn't good. It all depends on what one needs it for, and also what you can get out of it. It is a good way to learn programming too, a great way to start!

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    I hope so.

He did say that we will be doing some Z80 and 68000 assembler during the course
    do you know how fun/annoying it is? I did a course which took us into the land of the 68k, and we were thrown in the deep end. We had no idea what the commands were and we were expected to make programs....so annoying. But once we were told about the commands, it was cool, but still, so much easier to program in C or something
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Done some little asm coding, as some of you already know
    http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=23288

My first Amiga programming language I really learned was Amos. Did some little intros with my friends, must been something like 1992. When switched to Amiga 1200 founded out that my Amos stuff didn't work too well. Alternative solution was Blitz basic. More complicated than Amos (IMHO), but also much more rewarding one. Coded simple little tools for sample creating.

Now as I'm studying programming, I also started learning Amiga asm again. Now and then, when I have little time, I like to start asm-pro and try to do little effects. Maybe one day I have enough of these little pieces and can start composing on track to my first Amiga demo

Downloads
    Uploads
    I spent ages learning AMOS. I programmed some Music playing software and apps. could never manage games, only the apps. Sent some into PD library's and had them Sold. Had a cheque come once for some software.

Had the Blitz Basic 2 as well. compiled a few small apps on that as well. Got one on aminet somewhere.

A few Disc mags as well. Was thinking of creating a few of these now for retro use.

I have some adf files of the software I have programmed if anyone is intrested.
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cool that you have released several applications, Stu. Do you have some links to those? Have you released any disk magazines? Would love to see them as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I see if I can find them! I think The adfs are on the real miggy. I also had an advert in CU Amiga for a while!
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hope you'll find the stuff, as I'm looking forward to check it out.