Poll: Have you ever thrown a game controller?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Have you ever physically thrown a Joystick?

You hear about people throwing joysticks and other game controller across the room in a fit of frustration or rage, either through being stuck in a game or by just being beaten by a "mate".

Have you ever done this? Why did it happen? And did you break the controller or anything it hit?

I've personally never thrown a game controller, but I have broken a few in my time through excessive force brought about by over eager use during multiplayer games.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, never threw a controller. Or anything else for that matter. Worst I can do out of sheer frustration with a game is pound the table/chair/something once, but never really hard. I did kill the stereo's remote that way, by accidentally grazing it just wrong so it bounced away and into the sharp edge of one of my speakers. It wasn't even that hard, but somehow managed to crack the circuit board inside. Had to get a new one. Stupid, really.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not a chucker....more a screamer I tend to also hit the ground or chair...at least I have some control over not hitting the controller! lol
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

Never chucked anything.
    I like to let out my rage in a mature way by swearing.
    Which is as we all know, big and clever.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not that I can remember.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Errr. Yes, but just the once... Didnt do any damage...

Which is more than can be said for the time I threw my chair at the wall, because I drew a line in the wrong place on my ST (dodgy broken mouse-port)... Now that MADE a lovely whole in the wall... much to my parents annoyance!
    This is not a signature

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have smashed some Quickshot 2 joysticks playing on the C64. Mainly due to too much playing games like Decathlon f.ex. or throwing it against the wall whilst playing Green Beret.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've thrown 2 PSX joypads in frustration, both during driving games and both to the floor. One while playing 2-player on Ridge Racer 4 and drifting a little too long allowing a friend to get past me on the last corner and the other totally messing up about 5 minutes from the end of one of the endurances races in Gran Turismo 2. Having opened up a large lead, towards the end of the race I pitted more often to make sure I didn't throw it away. I made a mistake, crashed into one of the flat perpendicular walls on the course, and of course having pitted regularly wasn't far enough ahead to avoid being overtaken. I managed to retake the lead only to do a similar thing a lap later by which time it was too late and I finished second. The 'X' button on the controller broke.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
    I've thrown 2 PSX joypads in frustration, both during driving games and both to the floor. One while playing 2-player on Ridge Racer 4 and drifting a little too long allowing a friend to get past me on the last corner and the other totally messing up about 5 minutes from the end of one of the endurances races in Gran Turismo 2. Having opened up a large lead, towards the end of the race I pitted more often to make sure I didn't throw it away. I made a mistake, crashed into one of the flat perpendicular walls on the course, and of course having pitted regularly wasn't far enough ahead to avoid being overtaken. I managed to retake the lead only to do a similar thing a lap later by which time it was too late and I finished second. The 'X' button on the controller broke.
    That is a sad story. You need to write a book to help people share your pain!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've never throwed a joystick or smashing it up, but I must admit that I've smashed the desk quite hard in frustration.