Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Leeuwarden, Netherlands Or Hell from time to time
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your favorite science fiction movie

Hello,

Of all the science fiction movies you have seen, what are your favorite ones?
    Its easy to name a series but try to stick to one part or two at most.

Mine are;

Alien
    Aliens
    Star Wars: A New Hope
    The Terminator
    The Thing (John Carpenter version)
    The Abyss (well I liked it)
    Robocop
    Tron
    Predator
    Starship Troopers

If I had to choose from all of these it would be Aliens and Star Wars
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is quite hard as there have been so many over the years and it is my favourite genre.

The best out of any has to be Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back. For me that is the best Star Wars film out of them all and one of the best Science Fiction films of all time.

Others include:

Star Wars: A New Hope
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.
    Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    Tron
    Pitch Black
    Event Horizon
    Alien
    Supernova
    Blade Runner
    DUNE
    Dark Star
    Screamers
    The Fifth Element
    Terminator II
    Robocop

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heh, you can't beat the revelation that Darth Vader is really Luke's father, right?
    [I]Earth is like a 24 hour, Seven days a week Stupidity contest which has been running for centuries.
    And every time they are ready to pronounce a winner, a new contender appears on the scene.[/I]

[I]He has seen half the universe who has not seen the house of pain (Ralph Waldo)[/I]

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually it's due to the Hoth battle. That section of the film is great, especially the stop motion AT-ATs. Brilliant.

The Empire Strikes Back was also the first Star Wars film I saw at the cinema when it was released and has remained one of my favourite films ever since.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Darn, I only saw some of the crappy ones in cinema like War of the Worlds, A Sound of Thunder (which really is bad).

ESB was a bit darker and the characters were more grown.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I definitely liked the darker feel of ESB compared to the first film although don't get me wrong, A New Hope is next to ESB in my all time favourite Sci Fi films.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In no particular order
    The 1st three StarWars films released. (Like the other 3 but not as much)
    Blade Runner
    Dune
    The Fifth Element
    All the StarTrek with the exception of Generations which was a bit weak and preachy.
    The 1st two Terminators. (Third one was ok but not in the same league)
    All Three Matrix films.
    All the Robocop films.
    All the Babylon 5 films.
    (Probably others, but these are the 1st that sprung to mind)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Some that aren't listed that I enjoyed:

Silent Running
    Bruce Dern commits murder in order to save the last bio domes in space storage.

The Black Hole
    Saw it about a year ago. Not too bad for a Disney picture.

Total Recall
    Another classic Arnie movie "Get your arse to Mars".

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those were definitely three great films.

Silent Running has to be one of the greatest at generating such emotional connection with the robots in a film. The bit when he runs the robot over in the buggy still gets me, as does the end with the single robot left floating through space tending the plants.

Total Recall. That is a great film and one of my favourite Sci-Fi Arnie films. May disregard Arnie as just a meat head but he's made some great sci fi films over the years.

And the Black Hole was a favourite of mine when I was young. I saw that at the cinema when I was six and still remember thinking how cool Maximilian was with his killer spinning blades. And Vincent and Bob were great robots. You can definitely see the impact R2D2 and C3P0 had on movie creators at the time, trying to emulate some human elements within the robots of the film.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Picking just 10 fantastic sci-fi movies is gonna be hard, but I guess I will give it a go.

In no particular order:

Alien3 (Sorry to say this but I find that Aliens is just way too generic to be a really stunning movie, whereas Alien3 really went back to its roots and shook the whole genre up again - its just a shame about all the politics that went on backstage)

Tron (Simply everything that a great sci-fi movie should be. A great story, accompanied with mind-blowing (for the time) effects and a good guy the public can sympathise with (Who doesnt feel that we all get shafted by our superiors every now and again))

Dark City (Everything that The Matrix aspired to be, with great casting and excellent effects and a throughly immerfsive story. Keifer Sutherland was excellently creepy as the doctor and Richard O'Brien just delivered so well)

Pitch Black (What a great looking movie, with simple effects that translate so well on the screen. No clever cgi just filters and lighting to give a truly parched and desolate landscape. A great vehicle for Mark Vincent and certainly a great bad guy you can love)

eXistenZ (Love this film, almost feels like the ideal candidate for a console game. Probably not the greatest sci-fi movie but i can watch this again and again. Cronenberg comes into his own when given the free reign to do what he does best. Maybe he should direct the next Alien movie)

Strange Days (Another one of those lesser films that for me really do stand out as being that little bit better than the pap aimed at the mass-market. A great film about the illegal trade in stolen memories. With a great cast and a number of wonderful scientific ideas, it really does tantalise the imagination with what the future could hold)

Race Against Time (Now this is a film that I don't imagine too many people have seen. It is the story about what would happen if suicide was made legal and large corporations were ruthless enough to take advantage of that fact. This movie goes on my highly-recommended list. Perhaps a little-over clever and over-the-top storyline-wise... but good, nevertheless)

Santa Clause Conquers The Martians (Sorry, but I just love this film... It is so bad it makes Plan 9 look like an Oscar-winner. Its too hard to describe, I would suggest just tracking it down and watching it... But please, don't expect it to make much sense...)

The Iron Giant (Another outing for the great Mark Vincent (providing the awesome voice of the robot) and an excellent film, to boot. Very mature and very witty. I guess this is the only fully animated movie to make it into my top 10 sci-fi movies)

The Star Wars Saga (I tried to do this list without including any of the Star Wars movies... but I failed. But hopefully the other movies in this list more than make up for it)

As you can see, the films I have listed tend not to be included in other lists, primarily because I tend to avoid films that hype themselves up something rotten. Hence no Matrix (Mind you, I hated it anyway) or Chronicles of Riddick (Pitch Black being a sleeper). I hope this list has been of interest, and perhaps persuaded you to try a few films that are not on the beaten track.

Enjoy
    This is not a signature