Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Would you need to have modem support steve? I haven't seen a modem installed in a PC for a long time now and due to prices of a dialup account being as much as a broadband account it is pointless to remain on dialup (regardless of the arguments for and against dialup vs broadband that you may come up with).

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Modem support is obviously not neccesery, but it is if I want to use the internet!

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ? Couldn't you just use a network card and link the Linux machine to a router? Or if you only have access to a dialup account for some reason, you could share the connection from your PC via Windows and a crossover cable between the two machines. There are solutions even of you cannot get a modem to directly work in Linux itself.

It is also possible to get most wireless lan cards working with Linux using Windows drivers. I did this with a wireless Linksys card. The setup is quite complex but once sorted it works perfectly. Quite mad to think that Cisco and Linksys don't directly support or recognise Linux as an OS so have never directly released a driver for any of their products. Quite mad.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    ? Couldn't you just use a network card and link the Linux machine to a router?
    router? Where's that? I didn;t realise there was one here.

(In other words, i wouldn;t really be bothered about v92 modems if there was an internet connection that could be used over ethernet here.

Or if you only have access to a dialup account for some reason, you could share the connection from your PC via Windows and a crossover cable between the two machines. There are solutions even of you cannot get a modem to directly work in Linux itself.
    Give me a 5 mile ethernet cable that I can use and I will.

It is also possible to get most wireless lan cards working with Linux using Windows drivers. I did this with a wireless Linksys card. The setup is quite complex but once sorted it works perfectly. Quite mad to think that Cisco and Linksys don't directly support or recognise Linux as an OS so have never directly released a driver for any of their products. Quite mad.
    Getting a wireless network to travel 5 miles wouldn;t be THAT easy either. Mine only goes to the end of the road.