Thread: Game Music OST

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Game Music OST

I know a few of you also collect Game music, but I was wondering how many of you collect full Original Sound Track (OST) releases?

I've been collecting them for a few years now. It started with some of the Final Fantasy OST CDs but I then started to hunt on p2p networks for the rarer ones I could not find anywhere and started to discover and download more and more great game and movie OST albums.

I've now got close to 50 Final Fantasy OST albums, all of which are great to have playing in the background while I work. And I've just got hold of the complete Shadow of the Beast OST that contains the music from all three games and it really nice.

I don't just collect music from one or two systems, although I do tend to concentrate most on RPG music from the PS1 and PS2, but I also collect anything I like from other classic retro systems such as the SNES and from the many great games on the PC.

So do any of you also collect Game OST collections? And if so what have you collected so far and are interested in the most?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't actually collect them, there has to be a limit with collecting, so I decided to not collect everything. I only downloaded the OST of FF7, FF8, and FFT. I also bought 2 OST, the ones from Xenogears and Chrono Cross, both containing 3 CDs, as I really liked the music in the games. Things you easily find on eBay.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm an avid collector of video game music

There's a lot of people who'd probably look at me strangely and call me an idiot for listening to 'that weird crap', but who cares, eh? There's a lot of great game music out there, in every style imaginable, from techno to heavy metal, symphonic to ambient. Give it a try if you haven't ... you might be surprised.

If I'd have a make a wild guess, I have around 500+ GB of OSTs in MP3 format lying about (90% of which I haven't even listened to). I do find myself listening to the Final Fantasy soundtracks more frequently than the others (have 91 FF-related albums). Very good stuff if you want to just sit back and relax for a while.

Other than video game OSTs, I also collect Anime OSTs and to a lesser extent, movie soundtracks.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Got a lot of mods for the C64.
    Did have a lot of the remakes on mp3 but lost it all when I had a hd failure a few years back.
    Still have a few left.
    Rebuilding my collection is on my to do list next time i'm off work for a few weeks.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharingan View Post
    If I'd have a make a wild guess, I have around 500+ GB of OSTs in MP3 format lying about (90% of which I haven't even listened to).
    That is ALOT of OST!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife
    Got a lot of mods for the C64.
    You mean sid's? You can always d/l the newest High Voltage Sid Collection for free including thousands of sid files. Homepage can be found here.

Deadly VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Bloody hell that is a lot.
    Nice one.
    Will have a good nose through that lot.

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    SID music is great. There plenty of nice tunes from games, but I enjoy more the SID's made by demoscene artists on the C64. Some incredibly talented artists on that Scene.

I don't collect much music from PC games though. Have a few songs from the Civilization series, Monkey Island 3, Command & Conquer and such, but not much more. I do save game music from the Amiga though, but those are mostly mods and other formats. The Secret of Monkey Island music, along with the tunes from Colonization are great to listen to.

The Darth Popsicle! VIP
    Downloads
    Uploads
    500 GB might seem like a lot, but I know a few people who have terabytes worth of the stuff. Real hardcore. They collect not only the more mainstream soundtracks, but also haunt online auction sites for rare, out-of-print releases from Japan.

Anyway, if anyone has any questions regarding video game music, or wants to know if an official soundtrack was ever released for a particular game, I'll do my best to find out.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I recently discovered a compilation series on a torrent site where someone had collected together a lot of game OSTs on the PC ranging from the 1990s up to present games. So far I managed to find 3 parts, each about 15GB and there is a lot of great music included.

I also recently downloaded the Shadow of the Beast OST (from all three games) and it seems to be an official OST, not one created by a fan sampling the game, and is really good. I've always been a big fan of the music from that series, especially the first two games.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!