Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    I use all my stuff on a regular basis.

Or most of it, well, the ones which are working.

Not all the time, just whe I want to, but usually more than once per month.
    We are talking about "everything" you own Steve, not just your computers! Although I have this scary feeling that everything you own might well be your computers!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    We are talking about "everything" you own Steve, not just your computers! Although I have this scary feeling that everything you own might well be your computers!
    It would make sense to talk about computers in such a topic, as some of us here own quite a lot of them and don't use them all.

Things like my Television and radio I use alot. My VCR and DVD player I don;t use that much though.

My GameBoy has seen quite a lot of use over the years but I don't use it that often any more.

Don't think theres anything else which I own which is worth talking about.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    But what about none technology? Books, magazines, videos, CDs, DVDs, clothes, furniture, toys and games (not video games), bags, bits of wood, metal, push bikes, cooking utensils, shoes, camping equipment... anything and everything you own.

This was all in my mind when I said less than 10% of everything I own. I could definitely reduce my possessions without it having any effect on my life and I probably wouldn't even notice most of it had gone, other than all the extra space I would then have.

I feel a large number of items will be appearing on ebay very soon.

Wiseguy Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    If we include books, then I can safely say I hardly use anything I own. I've bought a lot of books, comics, graphic novels etc over the years, and still do. I hardly ever re-read any of it except the really good ones, as there is always a pile of unread stuff waiting. But I would never consider getting rid of any of it either of course .

Apart from that I do use a lot of what I have, except for some of the old computers. But even those I do hook up from time to time and fiddle around with a bit.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Books I hardly ever use.
    Cooking Utensils, some I use all the time, others rarley, but I do use them sometimes so would be stuck if I got rid of them.

Furnature, obviously, it is used regually for sitting on and for storing things in.

Bits of wood. Odd one. Sometimes i find uses for bits of wood. Ideal to keep them just in case.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Bits of wood. Odd one.
    I use toothpicks very regularly. And just recently I sold a wooden plank at eBay to a guy from the Mas a Tierra islands named Robin Crusow, or something like that. It think I sent it on Friday

Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah beating someone with bits of wood is great fun but I dont that often. As for books most of what I read is online really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

But remember, shoot or die!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Probably around 10% also, depending on whether we're counting very infrequent use or not used at all.

I have a lot of books I kept but haven't touched since I first read them (but may want to again one day). I haven't played an audio CD now in about 6 months. Usually I'll play the original CD for a few days as soon as I get it, then once I've heard it enough and fancy a change I'll rip it to MP3 put it in it's case and just play it from MP3 in future. I haven't actually bought a CD for many months now, nothing out there that I really like enough to want to buy. I've got plenty of DVD's I've watched once and never since.

I've got quite a lot of stuff I've kept for nostalgia but don't really intend using again. There's the stuff I've got just-in-case (computer parts like broadband & 56k modems, spare gfx card etc.)

Then there's the hardly-ever-used stuff, the clothes that I'll wear once every few years, the turntable which I might need to dig out to record an LP to MP3 if it proves impossible to find by other methods etc. Actually the LP's themselves come under the never used category. Oh and the thousands of cassette tapes which one day, I'm going to go through and clear out most of them/digitise the unique stuff (I wonder do they do recycling for cassette tapes, seems a lot of plastic to throw away).

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a ton of cassette tapes too that I want to one day digitise and then dispose of. But then I end up normally just finding the same albums online as better quality mp3s and just download those instead as it saves time and you end up with a better result. And you are not really pirating them as you do own the originals, all be in on inferior tapes.

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I have a ton of cassette tapes too that I want to one day digitise and then dispose of. But then I end up normally just finding the same albums online as better quality mp3s and just download those instead as it saves time and you end up with a better result. And you are not really pirating them as you do own the originals, all be in on inferior tapes.
    The majority of the time, I tend to download (I've part of the way through my LP's, and when they're done it's on to the tapes.) but there's some less common stuff that it's hard to find online. Either way is actually illegal to the letter of the law in the UK, but no-one's ever been punished for doing it afaik.