Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

A600 hard disk problem.

Hello there lads and lasses,
    I haven't been on this forum for a while because of my exams, but now I'm back and back down in da hood!

So, I recently bought myself an A600 and a few bits and bobs, intending to install a hard disk I could salvage out of my dead A1200. Well, everything goes smoothly, and fits together like it's meant to, untill, that is, I, alas, turn the A600 back on:

Now, you see, the picture on the screen wobbles and waves, and the colours are murkier and everything. I made sure the hard drive cradle wasn't shorting anything on the circuit board, because it had caused some problems before, but that wasn't the problem.

This tutorial shows the A1200 with some shielding between the disk and the modulator, so I asked myself whether this could be a shielding problem.

What do you reckon, lads and lasses?

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi there Sam! Long time no see! Hope everything is going well for you.

As for your problem, do you have any other equipment installed than the HD? I assume it is a 2.5" HD, since it fits into your Amiga 600. What kind of PSU do you have, and what kind of screen do you use? Is it a TV or a monitor? I haven't seen such a problem myself before, but I remember that mobile phones could cause such wobbling if put next to the monitor. Anyway, please post some more info on your system, and we'll do our best to help you.

Good luck!

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Jonas!
    I was going to contact you, but I lost your e mail address!

So, my system is pretty much a straight A600. There's nothing really special about it, except that it has a hard disk, an external floppy which is pretty much permanently connected and has a slightly temperamental video something. I remember a carrot slipped off my tv and landed on the Amiga, and on the screen I just saw what in swedish is called "myrkrig" - a war of ants - like when you turn your tv on and it isn't tuned in to anything. Well, I tapped the top of the case where the carrot landed, and the picture came back on. I need to create a SCART lead so I can do things a little more reliably, but until then I just need to try to get the modulator working.

Harmless Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This afternoon I fixed the problem.

I confirmed that the interference was indeed coming from the internal hard disc, and I then made a small reflective shield out of a beer-can, facing the shiny surface towards the disc, and covering the edges of the sall piece of metal with masking tape - this prevents it from short circuiting any of the circuit board it leans on.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Wilsonsamm and welcome back. And glad to see you managed to fix the problem. A nice home made fix there.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi mate, I can't say welcome BACK, as I can't remember you.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I say welcome back as I do remember. The more people that return the better!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

ELITE Staff Moderator
    My location

Snake Champion, Invasion Champion Puni/Void's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Sam! Glad to see that you got the Amiga 600 up and running again with a HD. Good job! As for my e-mail address, you can find it in my profile.