Poor Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

C64 downloads legal?

I'm probably being stupid here (wouldn't be a first) but I'd just like to clarify whether or not it's legal to download C64 games you dont own? Doesnt matter either way as I have all my tapes and unit up in the loft, but I'm just curious. I think it's plain stupid if it's not legal as the system is almost as old as me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

But remember, shoot or die!

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    All games are under copyright for 75 years if produced by a company or life of the author + 75 years if produced by an individual.

Basically - they're still under copyright. However, some developers and authors have decided to relinquish their copyright and allow them to be distributed as freeware.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's a case of intellectual property more than the actual games themselves these days.

The problem with older software is that many people just consider it so old that it isn't commercial any more, so anyone should be able to do what they wish with it. This is far from the case and most abandonware sites are hosting the majority of their files illegally. They normally get away with it through because most of the publishers and developers of the software are either no longer around or are not interested in such old franchise.

Except that many who do still hold the rights to such old games just don't have the time to check to see if anyone is illegally providing it for download. If someone notifies them then you can rest assured that most will then take action.

The exception is when old software was been granted the status of freeware by it's original developer/publisher. In most cases this has happened where the actual main developer/coder of a title still owns the complete rights to the software. Most developers like this from the 80's and early 90's seem only too glad to allow their software to be hosted on sites as freeware so that people can continue to enjoy the titles. They sensibly know there is no financial worth in the software these days (except if a retro compilation was made with it included). The clause is that it can be as such as long as no one makes a profit from it.

The main exception to this is software that is still owned by current publishers. EA and Lucasarts are two publishers that are still very against anyone hosting any game they published and will take legal action if they find out. That is why you often don't see many of the Lucasart adventures on many abandonware sites.

The tricky part is finding out if a software title is abandonware or not. The best way is so directly contact the original developers if it is possible to ask them. Most will grant a site the rights if it hasn't already been deemed as freeware, but some as mentioned won't. It's a very grey area and one that the legal freeware site back2roots tried to do for years, but I suspect legal issues ended up being it's undoing.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Legal, Illegal? Just d/l them

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Exactly

And as long as you are not going to be selling rom collections for profit no one is ever going to grumble.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Harmless Turbocharged Penguins! Champion, Commando Arena Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, The Wire Champion, Contra Champion flimbo's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Official Commodore 64 Forever Plus edition is the best C64 Emulator, I have been playing Last ninja, CJ Elephant Antics and Flimbo's Quest

I have some spare Official Commodore 64 Forever Plus Edition Activation codes if anyone is interested, I bought few activation codes recently if you want one I will accept less than the price on the Commodore 64 forever website.

I think its the best Commodore 64 emulator available it has loads of options you can even have the original loading screens there is an option to have no loading screens but its not the same with out the coloured bars flickering down the sides it also lets you have HD graphics and comes with 100 games.

Anyway pm if your interested in a Commodore 64 Forever Plus Edition activation code

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm fine using the "normal" C64 emulators. And setting up GameBase, is the best you can ever have for many computer or console systems, so I have to say that I can skip this one. GameBase64 is even still updated all the time, v13 having been released this year.

Why would you buy more than one activation code anyway?

Harmless Turbocharged Penguins! Champion, Commando Arena Champion, Yetisports 10 - Icicle Climb Champion, The Wire Champion, Contra Champion flimbo's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought them in bulk because I give stuff away on twitch and ustream broadcasts also on my twitter