Classicamiga has moved home to a new server!

We have now moved home this week to a shiny new 64-bit dedicated server. This move has affected the main http://www.classicamiga.com site and not the forum, which is currently hosted on a different server.

This migration from the current hosting server to our new hosting server went smoothly and the new server is much faster and nicer to use. You may still get some pages returning a 404 page error for the next couple of days as some of the DNS servers around the world will still be updating so they point to the new server. This is perfectly normal.

Why did we move to a new server?

The new dedicated server will allow classicamiga to grow.
  1. It offers much faster processing (dedicated AMD 64-bit instead of shared server space)
  2. A dedicated connection within the data centre allowing for more simultaneous connections to the server without slowdown (100Mbit direct server connection on a 40Gbit backbone)
  3. Unlimited monthly bandwidth - meaning we can stream content and include larger downloads without needing to worry about bandwidth usage
  4. Faster database access (databases stored locally on same server instead of
  5. Much more storage space that is faster and more secure (SATA RAID)
Teething problems

As with all things, there may be small teething problems moving to a new server. If you spot any errors or thins looking wrong please let me know by posting in this thread and I will try to fix them as quickly as possible.

If you get a 404 error page when visiting the site don't worry. This is due to the DNS servers around the world updating so that they point to the new server's IP address. The .com domain may go down from time to time for a few minutes or hours within the next couple of days while this happens.

Future additions

Some future additions to the site will now be possible thanks to the new server. It is hoped that the forum can be moved to the same server and the accounts for the main site and forum linked together for a single registration and login process. I cannot promise this will occur as I first need to test the benefits and negative aspects of this, as well as the server load that will be increased due to running both from the same server.