Downloads
    Uploads

What game ideas would you like to see come out on the new consoles?

I was just wondering what people would like to see on he newest consoles, in terms of licences or even updated versions of old games. I know te chances of any of these being done are slim, but it would be interesting to see what Joe Public thinks would make a good game nowadays, especially in todays age of online gaming.

On the Wii I would love to see the following games:

The Elder Scrolls... Either Daggerfall or Morrowind (as Oblivion would just not be possible, imho). Daggerfall would be especially good as a MMORPG with all the possibilities involving running your own business.

The Crystal Maze (actually I could also see this on the PS3) as it would make great use of the Wii-mote and the Sixaxis controller. You could team up with other players online to form teams of six to attempt the maze.

An up-to-date version of the Magic: The Gathering game would work so well on the Wii, as would a lot of the other CCGs out there. Full 3D graphics for fight sequences and summonings. The original Star Wars CCG would also look stunning in this format.

The CSI games that were released on the PC would make a good use of the wii-mote too, just come up with some really strong storylines. They could even release additional episodes every month to download.

On consoles in general, other than The Crystal Maze, I would also like to see:

A first-person version of Gauntlet would be great, not being able to see around the corners and getting surprised by a huge whopping ghost generator spewing out enemies would scare the bejeebies out of me, and would also work as an online game (you could even have players controlling Death).

And how's about a version of Takeshi's Castle... Now how hectic would that be!

You may have noticed that the majority of the games seem to be for the Wii, but thats because I am, at the moment, a little disappointed with it's line-up compared to the other consoles (not being a Mario or Zelda fan) so I have been thinking of games that would work so well on the console.

But what do you think?
    This is not a signature

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Talking of the Wii, I've read a lot of reviews for the system and it strikes me that currently the only developer actually designing their games specifically for the system's unique control system is Nintendo and closely aligned third parties.

This could be dangerous and end up going exactly the same way as the N64 did. The problem is the Nintendo do often create systems that are innovative, with original features or unique control systems (N64 for the first with an analogue stick on a console), but then end up being the only developer who truly understands their system.

Take the release of the last Prince of Persia game, ported over to the Wii with a name change. The PoP control system with dual analogue sticks has worked perfectly on other systems, but the Wii only has a single analogue stick so the developers instead have tried to fit the game around the Wii-mote controls and made the game very hard to control in the process.

What I'm trying to say is that the problem with a new generation of consoles is that many third party developers will try to cross develop their games across as many of the three (5 with PSP and DS) systems to get the most return on their development investment. But the Wii just doesn't lend itself well to the porting of games that were originally designed to work with the 360 or PS3 controllers.

Maybe for games like PoP the developers should have included support for gamecube or the classic controller on the Wii?

As for games I would like to see. The processing power of the PS3 especially is far more advanced than we have seen before, and the HD output much higher in resolution. This lands itself to more possibilities than previous generations of console. No longer are games more restricted by resolution and processing power compared to PC gaming. Therefore I would like to see a decent flight sim on the PS3. Especially a game from the IL-2 series.

RPG wise, I still want a MMO style game that gives you true freedom in the world. The ability to buy stores and open them to other players, and houses to live in, all with the ability to customise them in any way you like. Like a cross between Oblivion and Animal Crossing.
    Last edited by Teho; 12th May 2007 at 11:57.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Totally agree with you there Harrison.

I certainly see the PS3 becoming the real powerhouse console, especially as it is a complete package, and as Rockstar pointed out recently when commenting on GTA IV, there is no need to take into account whether it has a hard drive attached or the fact that HD-DVD does not store data, unlike Blu-Ray. They were expressing their concerns as to just how good the 360 version could be.

I see this happening more and more, with companies having to decide whether to code seperate versions for PS3 and 360, convert from PS3 to 360 (but probably having to downgrade some elements of the game) or, heaven forbid, porting from 360 to PS3 (thereby not utilising the advanced features of the PS3, espec. blu-ray capacity)

I really do think that in all the 'console wars' before there has never been quite this diversification of formats and capabilities amongst a single generation. I just hope that this doesnt end up fracturing the console market so badly that it becomes elitist. Time will tell.

As for the Oblivion/Animal Crossing, it does sound a little like some of the rumours/concepts I have picked up on regarding Sony's Home software.
    This is not a signature

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Talking of the Wii, I've read a lot of reviews for the system and it strikes me that currently the only developer actually designing their games specifically for the system's unique control system is Nintendo and closely aligned third parties.

This could be dangerous and end up going exactly the same way as the N64 did. The problem is the Nintendo do often create systems that are innovative, with original features or unique control systems (N64 for the first with an analogue stick on a console), but then end up being the only developer who truly understands their system.

Take the release of the last Prince of Persia game, ported over to the Wii with a name change. The PoP control system with dual analogue sticks has worked perfectly on other systems, but the Wii only has a single analogue stick so the developers instead have tried to fit the game around the Wii-mote controls and made the game very hard to control in the process.
    This is the biggest concern for me over future Wii games, lazy devs could start trying to shoehorn motion/pointing control into games where it really isn't suited. This has been seen to a certain extent with the DS - some games throw in a touch screen section just because they can, or use 2 screens for no purpose, without thinking about it properly. But a really good game, well designed and implemented is brilliant and the different input method can add a fair amount.