Poll: How did you get your first Amiga?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I am Legion for we are many. Staff Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    When i had MY C64 i used it for Word Processing, Databases, Spreadsheets all that kind of stuff as well as Elite, PSF and Wizball of course. I had a 24pin Panasonic colour printer.
    A1200 Power Tower
    OS 3.9 / CGX4 / OS4.0
    Blizzard 210Mhz (overclocked to 266Mhz) 603e PPC with 25Mhz 040 (Overclocked to 33Mhz) 256Mb RAM
    ZIV
    CV64/3D
    3.2Gb HDD + 20GB HDD

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I never had a printer for my CPC464. I always wanted one and would look at the adverts, but could never afford one. Plus the CPC had a unique connector so you were restricted in the printers you could buy. Once I had an ST I finally got my first printer, which was a Star LC10C 9pin colour printer. That thing was really loud!

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I got my first Amiga (Amiga 500+ Cartoon Classics pack) as a christmas pressie. My folks didn't see me for ages upon openening that thing. Best crimbo I ever had. Once I got slighlty bored with the games, I fired up Deluxe Paint III and let my creative side shine through (not that I have much of a creative side)

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I never had a printer for my CPC464. I always wanted one and would look at the adverts, but could never afford one. Plus the CPC had a unique connector so you were restricted in the printers you could buy. Once I had an ST I finally got my first printer, which was a Star LC10C 9pin colour printer. That thing was really loud!
    Althought the connector on the CPC is different, it still uses the standard Parrallel Centronics interface, so and adaptor cable expanded the range of printers that could be connected to the CPC's printer port.
    Last edited by woody.cool; 28th July 2008 at 17:47. Reason: Double posting - posts have been automerged

Harmless Inactive Member
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd seen some stuff about it in the news and what have you and was determined to get one. I save for it and got it in 1985. I had to travel to Nottingham which was the only shop in the north which had some in stock. Had a few demo disks (one of which I'm still searching for) with it and a few games too.

Previously I'd had a Commodore +4 (you probably won't remember that one), and a C64 for a while, both of which I programmed in assembler. You have no idea how satisfying the feeling was to discover how to use multiple bitplanes and to invent the variable yourself!

I submitted some stuff to a PD Library called Tony Thompson's Services, based in the Hebrides, on programming in Assembly using the A68K PD Assembler. Really looking to see if I can get hold of it and maybe my stuff too. Don't suppose anyone remembers it? They used to advertise in all the mags. (Maybe I should start a new thread?)

Dangerous Inactive Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by PiAnt View Post
    Previously I'd had a Commodore +4 (you probably won't remember that one)
    I had a C16, which the was part of the same series of machines as the +4 (also a mate of mine had a +4, basically a C16 with 64K and some programs built into ROM)

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by woody.cool View Post
    I got my first Amiga (Amiga 500+ Cartoon Classics pack) as a christmas pressie. My folks didn't see me for ages upon openening that thing. Best crimbo I ever had. Once I got slighlty bored with the games, I fired up Deluxe Paint III and let my creative side shine through (not that I have much of a creative side)

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Althought the connector on the CPC is different, it still uses the standard Parrallel Centronics interface, so and adaptor cable expanded the range of printers that could be connected to the CPC's printer port.
    I used a Star LC10 for my C64, previously I had the Commodore MPS 803, which was very slow, and my cousin got a Star NL10, which was later replaced by the LC10, which was exactly the same model only just with another model number. I also had to buy a connector to plug it into the C64, and the connector itself cost me about 75-100€, can't remember exactly, but I know it was very pricey. The printer itself already cost 17.000LUF at that time, which are 425€!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! That was an expensive printer! I've no idea what my LC10C cost. It was so long ago I can't remember. I do however remember that my parents ended up buying it as a Christmas present for me to use for my school work. Was definitely over £100, and possibly more. Might still have the receipt somewhere.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed very expensive, if you consider that you'll get printer/copier/scanner/fax nowadays in one single unit for less than 100€.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    All hardware continued to fall in price at a great rate. The Canon all in one can now be bought for under £30 and is perfectly good for general home use for example.

And look at ram. 1GB for £13!.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I binned my 6 month old HP (scanner/copier/printer) now, and I'm never gonna buy an ink jet printer anymore. Next one will be a laser printer, as I use the printer once a month at home, and if I have something bigger to print, I do it at work. And I don't need a color printer, as we have laser color printers at work.