Poll: How did you get your first Amiga?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Competent My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was lucky, in the fact my father owned the only Computer shop in my home town. I had asked for an Atari STE for christmas (as i was a good boy, and didnt want them to spend alot).

Come Christmas eve (I sat there all night looking at the big present) about 1 AM, my mother said "for crying out loud opening it". So I did, and to my suprise it was a Flight Of Fantasy Amiga 500 (My father even threw in an 512kb extra mem).

Best Christmas ever,
    On news of PSPUAE update on DCEMU came this reply, lol.

[quote=djk21108;]this will sure make that horace guy happy....[/quote]

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Definitely sounds like a brilliant Christmas, especially if you had been expecting an ST and instead got the much better Amiga.

Did you also have access to the games in your Dad's shop?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Competent My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Definitely sounds like a brilliant Christmas, especially if you had been expecting an ST and instead got the much better Amiga.

Did you also have access to the games in your Dad's shop?
    I did indeed, . Ah, those were the days.
    On news of PSPUAE update on DCEMU came this reply, lol.

[quote=djk21108;]this will sure make that horace guy happy....[/quote]

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Damn that is extremley cool...thats like expecting an Xbox and getting a PS3!
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    That must have been some real golden years I suppose. We didn't have a lot of shops here in whole Luxembourg.

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    mmmmm what memories! My very first Amiga.

While I was at junior school, my friends older brother had an Atari ST. Once I saw Defender of the Crown, Plutos (yes PLUTOS!) and Time Bandit I knew the spectrum had to go. Bought one of them to start with and spent many hours on Barbarian, Star Wars, Super Sprint (what a game), Captain Blood, Livingstone I Presume and many other classic titles.

Then, a few years later at comprehensive school, I came across the first Amiga 500 I'd seen. Man, I was blown away by the sound and graphics of the Blood Money intro, the full screen smooth scrolling of Hybris and left gobsmacked at seeing 32 (yes 32!) colours onscreen. I knew the ST had to go.

Got the Batman pack for xmas after selling the ST to some poor sucker. Hope he was a midi fanatic because he should have been looking at the Amiga before parting with his hard earned cash.

Best xmas ever! F-18 interceptor for most of that day! A few months later Bloodwych was released...
    Last edited by Bloodwych; 31st August 2007 at 19:11.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I went the same route as you, starting with an Atari ST before later ditching it for an Amiga. My reason was more the cost and my lack of money when I bought the ST, as the Amiga was £200 more at the time. I only paid £199 for an STFM, while the A500 was still £399. I still regretted buying the ST soon after once all the games started appearing on both platforms and I could clearly see the ST was very inferior with it's huge 8-bit like borders around the screen, unlike the full overscan screens of many Amiga versions. Plus the better graphics and sound. I still enjoyed the ST but wished for an Amiga the whole time.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

For those who dare! ClassicWB dev
    VIP
    Forum Mod
    Chopper Challenge Champion, The Collector Champion, BombJack Arcade Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Paintballing - Assault Champion, Tower 13 - Adventures In Body Saving Champion, Himalayaya Champion, Sea Dogs Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion, Operation Switchover Champion Bloodwych's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, Amiga's were not cheap. Started out at £499 with Kickstart 1.2 in the UK, jumping down to that magical £399 mark by the time I picked one up. Considering inflation, that's a lot of money!!! Wonder what the equivalent price would be now? £799?

Makes you wonder why people complain so much about the price of the PS3.
    Live Long and Procrastinate
    A500 Batman Pack
    Classic Workbench

ELITE VIP
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
    Considering inflation, that's a lot of money!!! Wonder what the equivalent price would be now? £799?
    Fairly close actually, inflation adjusted the A500 at £399 would cost £694.06 in today's money. At launch in 1987 the A500 was £587 which is £1154.43 in today's money

Downloads
    Uploads
    ~I used to go around a mates from school, every so often and play on his A500 he had. That was great. Another mate also had a 500 I used to play on. He then got a A600 and then a CD32.

I think i Brought his old A500 from him, either that or I got it from the Freeadds.

The is someone selling a boxed A1200 this week for £100 in the freeadds.
    :thumbs: Amiga, Wii Amiga on wii! SORTED! :thumbs:
    [img]http://www.my-wii.co.uk/wiibanner.jpg[/img]