Thread: New NAS

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

New NAS

I'm working daily on my NAS, and it's sometimes tedious as it's very slow. I noticed that my Synology 2413+ is already over 10 years old and the disks running 24/7 inside are getting tired, I have again 1 which needs to be replaced due to UNC errors and failing tests, plus another one which gives me I/O errors since some time.

I also added 2 Zyxel 2.5Git switches to my network, and added 2 USB adapters for the 2 NAS which only support 1Gbit, the one on the 920+ works fine and I get now 2500 Mbps but I can't get the one on the 2413+ to be recognized properly, it shows in the list with the lsusb command, but it's nowhere reachable inside my network.

I finally decided to get everything new, sometimes there's need for a change, especially after 10+ years.

So I bought a DS2422+ as replacement with 12x8TB Seagate Exos Enterprise HDDs (please no comment now against Seagate, thanks @Harrison) and bought also straight away 2x32GB RAM for the NAS as it only comes with 4GB.

Anyone wanna buy the 2413+

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice indeed. And nothing wrong with those drives. Same hardware as the Ironwolf drives but with helium to extend life. Were you not tempted by the 16TB drives?

At least I know you will be keeping all this rom collections safe.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Were you not tempted by the 16TB drives?
    You mean 12x16TB?? That would be expensive. I got a great price for the 8TB Exos drives, 140€/piece. I bought 13 of them.

I was also looking at an 8-bay NAS with 16TB drives but as I like to keep everything in a Raid6 I would lose too much.