Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

SSD data retention

This is something I hadn't thought about until I was just reading an article.

In the recent series Silo they had removed all traces of old technology and an ancient illegal harddrive was being secretly hidden and accessed.

With a traditional HDD, or other media such as a floppy disk, the data written to the disk will remain on the disk for a long time unless temperature extremes or magnets are involved. So it was possible the data was still intact on that disk.

But if it had been an SSD or a USB drive this might have been very different. I hadn't thought about this but these devices use flash memory that need to occassionally receive power to maintain their stored data on the chips. I just looked this up and estimates are most SSD and M2 devices should store data for 2-5 years without power, but some quote 10-15 years. So definitely not for long term archival storage. For that a traditional HDD is still a more rebust solution.

Had you ever thought about this?

This also means that with more recent gaming systems now using SSDs and games stored on them into the dirtier will mean you need ro turn the systems on regularly to make sure the drives remember the data.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    This sounds like an interesting kind of series. But how were they accessing the ancient illegal hard drive without other technology too?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I highly recommend Silo. It's based on a book trilogy by Hugh Howey, starting with the book Wool. It's based on a dystopian future where a disaster has occurred over 100 years ago and everyone is living in a huge underground Silo. It's on Apple TV.

There was meant to have been a mass uprising event 130 years ago that destroyed most objects from the past, as well as the knowledge about what really happened to the world or why they are in the silo. Most technology had been erased or banned. The Silo is however still controlled by ancient computers and they do have terminals in administration, police etc to access the system. An underground hacker in the lower levels managed to access the harddrive using one of these terminals. They have no knowledge of cameras f.ex.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I highly recommend Silo. It's based on a book trilogy by Hugh Howey, starting with the book Wool. It's based on a dystopian future where a disaster has occurred over 100 years ago and everyone is living in a huge underground Silo. It's on Apple TV.

There was meant to have been a mass uprising event 130 years ago that destroyed most objects from the past, as well as the knowledge about what really happened to the world or why they are in the silo. Most technology had been erased or banned. The Silo is however still controlled by ancient computers and they do have terminals in administration, police etc to access the system. An underground hacker in the lower levels managed to access the harddrive using one of these terminals. They have no knowledge of cameras f.ex.
    Wrong topic? But this got me interested now, has also great reviews on IMdB.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As you know I've never been that bothered about staying I topic. Most conversations start in a very different place to where they end. Definitely give Silo a watch.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Isn't this just another "Pootang" variant!

When I think of Silo.... this kind of storage springs to mind.....

milltec_grain_silos_1920x1280.jpg

& then visions of this on a hot summers day along with the damned stench for days on end....

Muck.jpg

Good old Mechanical Hard Drives eh!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, normally we think of Bunker or shelter, not Silo. But in the series they are round like a silo and it sounds better. The book was called Wool though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Yeah, normally we think of Bunker or shelter, not Silo. But in the series they are round like a silo and it sounds better. The book was called Wool though.
    Wool.jpg

Drive.jpg

Baaa.jpg

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've just started reading Wool and they seem to have stuck very closely to the books in the series, which is very unusual these days. From brief descriptions of the other 2 books they explore back when the silos were being build, as well as into the future beyond the first book. If that's true they might need to diverge from the second series, otherwise the same characters/actors wouldn't be possible.

But anyway, back on topic. As much as we were all happy for much faster, smaller silient solidstate HDDs, the limitations of data integrity are present. So I will be sticking with mechanical drive in my NAS to back everything up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's crazy tbh H isn't it.

One thing one minute with tech & then another the next.... It's all becoming very much like fashion & the wind is always changing direction.

I always thought Technology was supposed to be ever going forward.

Not the cheapest of places but some ideas on current sizing & pricing from 4GB up....

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-co...ort=price_desc