Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Mathematically Derived 500 Best Video Games of All Time

Someone on IGN took the top lists of video games created over the past 30 years and utilised some statistics on them to create The Mathematically Derived 500 Best Video Games of All Time.

FB_IMG_1689635864390.jpgFB_IMG_1689635873804.jpg

https://www.ign.com/playlist/suerown...es-of-all-time

Looking though the list there are not many games I haven't played. Mostly American sports games and some of the Pokemon games. Otherwise I have definitely played most of them, if not completed them. I will have to take a closer look and see how many I have actually finished, and which ones I still rashly should go back and play again.

I definitely agree with most of the games included in the list, although I would have put many of them in a different order.

Do you agree with the list? How many have you played and competed?
    Last edited by Harrison; 18th July 2023 at 07:06.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just from the picture posted of the top 15, that's a solid start to a list and I loved many of those (Zeldas, Mario 64, Resi 4, Mass Effect 2) and had a really good time with Bioshock, HL2 and Portal 2

HOWEVER I really didn't find The Last of Us clicked well with me when I tried it. Perhaps the sneaky stealthy style just isn't well suited for me (although I absolutely loved Metal Gear V)

I'll have to dig through the rest of the article / list later.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't looked into where they derive their Stats from to come to this list order?

There are too many game variances surely?

Or is it a snapshot of Joe Bloggs/Jill Bigones average gaming history.

I certainly couldn't put Tetris up there with something like Half Life.... Or some SuperMario Nintendo-DoMnic mer-larky!

Maybe my METHODOLOGY is based on a "bit here", a "bit there" & then go back for a revisit for a "bit more of yet another bit there".

But in all context, I find the order of the list just a little bit F'kd up considering that when we meet an Alien Species, we're probably going to converse mathematically with them, thereby alleviating any language barrier!

Yeh sod it, lets all get a Nintendo out & play Zelda or frickin Tetris!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't looked into where they derive their Stats from to come to this list order?
    From the link: "METHODOLOGY: 80 historical "Best of All Time" lists published over the last 30 years were compiled & assessed; Individual Rankings were scored based on a curve with bonus points for higher tiers; Appearance frequency, list eligibility, and minimum data thresholds were factored in"

Which isn't all that much clearer. Looks like they've used a bunch of 'best of' lists to somehow make a 'best of best of'

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thing is, no one will have the same favouite games so no best of list will ever fit perfectly for anyone. However when you make a list of 500 games you can guarantee most people will see a lot of their favourite games on there.

I think it was quite a cool idea to compile the list utilising 30 years worth of existing best of lists. And I'm guessing these were IGN lists so a mix of user voted and article review created lists.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    From the link: "METHODOLOGY: 80 historical "Best of All Time" lists published over the last 30 years were compiled & assessed; Individual Rankings were scored based on a curve with bonus points for higher tiers; Appearance frequency, list eligibility, and minimum data thresholds were factored in"

Which isn't all that much clearer. Looks like they've used a bunch of 'best of' lists to somehow make a 'best of best of'
    Innit
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

ELITE Staff Member
    My location

Space Invaders Champion, Flash Sprint Champion, Seconds Of Madness Champion, BMX Park Champion Submeg's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder where Baldur's Gate 3 is going to fit on that list...
    Check out my blog - submeg.com/

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've not played it yet but from all the reviews and player comments it would be quite high.

Have you played it yet? I was going to get it in PS5, and that's not out until next month. But with the modding community always taking an interest the PC version might be better.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I saw that there are already several mods out for Baldur's Gate 3.

I also bought Jagged Alliance 3, as the 2nd was long time one of my all time favorite games and I played it quite a bit. After that it got very calm and some games were released that were just average. And also Jagged Alliance 3 got now the official modding tools with the latest update.