RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Windows 10 installing software behind your back?

I have an SSD with Windows 10 which came with a laptop. I was using this Windows 10 install the other day () and I randomly got a pop up in the bottom corner of the screen which said:

Just installed...
    WhatsApp
    Check it Out.

At one time random software being installed like this would have been symptomatic of a virus infection but it looks like something one would expect from Windows 10. So, is Windows 10 really downloading and installing software behind my back?

I was using a metered 4G connection so I really don't want machines downloading random useless software of their own accord.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes there are some Microsoft Store apps that will auto install without you asking.

You can disable this activity:

1. On the Start screen, select Store to open the Windows Store.
    2. Select the account menu (next to the search box), then select Settings.
    3. Under App updates, set Update apps automatically to No.

But just be glad you are not using Windows 11. Microsoft have started adding adverts into the start menu and rumour is they will be increasing this. But in sure it can be hacked. Windows 11 Pro doesn't have the adverts though, just the Home version.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Adverts in the start menu sounds like absolute hell to me. Stuff happening in the background I can ignore and not let it bother me (personally) so much, but something at the forefront clamouring for my attention? yuck

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, I'll try and disable it next time I boot it up. To be honest I didn't even realise it had M$ Store, but I suppose its a major part of Windows 10. I expect the reason my Virtual Machine Windows 10 has never done this is because I don't allow it on the internet .

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In Windows 11 that have put the focus on the M$ Store completely. With a clean Win 11 home install it will only let you install and update from the store. It won't let you download and install anything else or install from media. You can unlock this restriction from the settings, but even so, locking dien a full computer OS to just by default allowing the makers own store to work is very Apple centric normally. WIN 11 feels more like Android with its Play store that a full OS with the freedom to do as you wish.

Obviously you can remove these restrictions but even so.

It makes me laugh because remember back in the old days people got mad that thry forced IE installed as the default browser and they had to add the screen during OS install asking you which browsers you wanted. But now they have taken it far further. Edge is installed and set as the default browser too. Although since they moved its engine to Chromium it's OK.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always found it pretty much essential for Windows to have Internet Explorer installed by default; as without it it would be difficult to go and download Firefox/Opera .

I remember using an Intel Mac some years ago and it wouldn't let me run some non-apple-store software, or at least not without the admin password. I'm not surprised that Windows has gone for this approach, but one of the advantages of Windows over MacOS and Linux is its backwards compatibility. I can use very old Windows software on Windows 7 and 10. That is not the case with MacOS and Linux systems. Maybe this is a way of them trying to break that compatibility.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @ Stephen

You can right click any Application icon & select properties. Second TAB along is Compatibility.

Example: HDTach needs to run in XP Service Pack 3 mode.
    Alternative: Use Crystal DiskMark instead.

Bill Gates has been installing cr4p in the background since Win95. - Along with the unscrupulous members of our Society adding to Bill Gates security holes, you're better off with a MAC anyhow.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I now have a copy of Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC. Hopefully no Store or any other crap on there . I haven't allowed it on the internet yet though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    <snip> I haven't allowed it on the internet yet though.
    ....which of course, is where it all goes tits up!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.