Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Zelda: Ocarina of Time gets Unreal Engine 5.2 Beta makeover

zelda_ocarina_of_time_box_art.jpg

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was a landmark title when it launched on the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and is still fondly remembered to this day.

Epic Games recently released the Unreal Engine 5.2 Beta providing developers and budding enthusiasts the chance to dip into the state of the art video game engine.

Gaming tech enthusiast CryZENx has been playing around with the latest version of the engine, which only released a few days ago, and has successfully recreated a portion of Bottom of the Well mini dungeon found in Kakariko Village in the iconic Nintendo 64 game to show fans how the game could look today using the latest gaming technology.

CryZENx created the demo using a 17.3-inch gaming laptop powered by an AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX processor, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 graphics card, 32GB of DDR4 RAM, along with two 1TB M.2-NVMe-SSDs in RAID-0.

You can check out the visual impressive fan-made Zelda tech demo down below.

Original article:
    https://mynintendonews.com/2023/03/2...beta-makeover/

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is impressive but the flickering lights made me feel pretty sick TBH and the face of Link was deep in the uncanny valley. For me this is a really interesting exercise in the difference between technical, and styling, skills.

This guy has good, strong technical skills but with better styling I think we'd see more being done with less

Also, those zombies screaming, man, I hated those. The first time I saw them on the N64 version was very memorable, and horrible. That thematic shift after link 'grew up' in the blink of an eye, it was an incredible experience.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I got about 4 minutes into the You-Tube thing, right up to the point where the elf/piskey thing started playing the flute affair.

After he flipped his middle finger a couple of times, I did exactly the same & came to post here....

Surely the time spent developing this would have been better spent crunching numbers for SETI or something.....
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    Surely the time spent developing this would have been better spent crunching numbers for SETI or something.....
    I disagree actually. While I might not particularly like it, I have also no doubt that it's impressive and I'm quite convinced they learned a lot while doing it too.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post
    I disagree actually. While I might not particularly like it, I have also no doubt that it's impressive and I'm quite convinced they learned a lot while doing it too.
    If you have no liking for it, how can you make a statement having no doubt that it is impressive? - Hopefully, they learned to code something different from this potential flop-fest.

Flipped off indeed!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can acknowledge that, while it's not to my taste, it takes skill to do and is not something I could do myself.

I'm sure there's many examples. Take opera, just doesn't appeal to me at all but the talent and skill, the training required to control a voice like that, incredibly impressive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    I can acknowledge that, while it's not to my taste, it takes skill to do and is not something I could do myself.

I'm sure there's many examples. Take opera, just doesn't appeal to me at all but the talent and skill, the training required to control a voice like that, incredibly impressive.
    Completely agree too....

This isn't a genre of platform flame, it's directed purely @ Minecraft for RTX Graphics.... Another waste of time.

Blocky Graphics when you need an nVidia graphics card & a bloody expensive one at that, in order to run it whilst it looks sh!t?
    Meanwhile, nVidia are releasing things like DLSS to increase FPS & maintain Anti-Aliasing & Anisotropic detail along with cinematic qualities & someone decides to code Minecraft for very expensive RTX graphics cards.

Just my feelings J T, as they were about Ocarina of Time. I didn't like it.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't really talk about the specs or requirements as I don't really know much about that, but I do think Minecraft has quite a neat art style and direction, it's certainly got some charm (the 'less can be more' thing I mentioned earlier).

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Minecraft with next gen graphical effects does look quite cool. Especially if you have built a world and then view it with the RT lighting and particle effects.

But that does kind of defeat the whole point of the game being just a building block game really. What I great about Minecraft these days is that it has fairly low level system requirements for most systems these days. I can load it up on PC or Playstation, or if somewhere else can run it on a tablet or my phone. Great accessibility.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I could offer any solace that may be worthy of consideration after slagging this game off, one thing that really does impress me here is the capabilities of where the Unreal Engine has got to over the years. - Very impressive.

It still doesn't change the apparent lack of immersion for me.