Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    A lot of routers these days have a USB port and a built in print server, so you can get a usb printer shared on a network without having to share it from a computer. Can be very useful.

And yes, the big advantage of am ethernet connected printer is you can conect to it via Wifi, but without the issues of WiFi direct.

Both my Samsung Laser and the Brother also have NFC. Open an image or document on your smartphone. Just tap it on the NFC area on the printer and it prints it. Bit of a gimmick, but I've found it useful to quickly print a PDF for things like postage labels.
    I'm pretty sure our router has that, but wouldn't you just expect that while the router is in a nice central location to provide good coverage for the house, it's not a location that'd be good for a printer.

TSK

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    A lot of routers these days have a USB port and a built in print server, so you can get a usb printer shared on a network without having to share it from a computer. Can be very useful.

And yes, the big advantage of am ethernet connected printer is you can conect to it via Wifi, but without the issues of WiFi direct.

Both my Samsung Laser and the Brother also have NFC. Open an image or document on your smartphone. Just tap it on the NFC area on the printer and it prints it. Bit of a gimmick, but I've found it useful to quickly print a PDF for things like postage labels.
    I'm pretty sure our router has that, but wouldn't you just expect that while the router is in a nice central location to provide good coverage for the house, it's not a location that'd be good for a printer.

TSK
    Agreed. - Personally, I don't want to walk into our Hallway & see some clunky plastic box spewing paper at the bottom of the staircase....
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    True. They need to make aesthetically pleasing printers. They have never looked great. Surprised Apple haven't tried that so they can charge £1000 for an inkjet.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kin Hell View Post

TSK
    Agreed. - Personally, I don't want to walk into our Hallway & see some clunky plastic box spewing paper at the bottom of the staircase....
    We actually did that have that once; we got a second hand BT PaperJet fax machine. It went in the hallway as that's where the telephone socket was.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Those were the days when we were tethered to where the Phone socket was. And before cordless phones we even had to be where the phone was wired to make a call.

Before I upgraded to full fibre I was annoyed where our main master socket was, as it was the opposite end of the hall to the plug sockets. So I moved it and rewired it. My wife panicked when I cut the wire. Quite funny. No different to wiring Ethernet. I then moved the plug sockets ready for the perfect place when I ordered fibre. I know not many can do that, but very useful if you can and saves a lot of money.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    True. They need to make aesthetically pleasing printers. They have never looked great. Surprised Apple haven't tried that so they can charge £1000 for an inkjet.
    I do (and always have) much of my printing at work. Frankly, though, we don't print all that much for personal use which is why we always have cheap printers at home. They always end up covered in dust too, as we just don't use them much, and of course the inks dry out over time. F-ing printers man

Downloads
    Uploads
    I do (and always have) much of my printing at work. Frankly, though, we don't print all that much for personal use which is why we always have cheap printers at home. They always end up covered in dust too, as we just don't use them much, and of course the inks dry out over time. F-ing printers man
    I have to completely agree!

Email/PhoneTxt....

Unless it's some Solicit0r scum you're having to deal with, who needs to print schnitt?

Kin puts 0ld hat on....

You can print out at your local library (even here in Cornwall....)

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We use our printers all the time, but then with Tom at school and my wife being a teacher they need to print quite a few things. And I do need to still print quite often.

You definitely need a printer if sending parcels with tracking barcodes on.

Downloads
    Uploads
    <snip>

You definitely need a printer if sending parcels with tracking barcodes on.
    No you don't....

Amazon are a classic example for their returns. - With a QR Code on your phone, the Post Office can scan it & they print the label.