Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Prime day big discounts on M2 SSD drives today only

On Amazon, today only, they have some big discounts on M2 SSD Gen4 storage. Including Sony PS5 certified M2 drives with heatsink.

I've ordered a Samsung 980 Pro M2 2TB with Heatsink for £163. That's 35% off the £253 RRP.

They had a lot of makes in all sizes including 1TB, 2TB and 4TB. The v4TB are still a bit expensive yet. Even with a fixing they were close to £500.

They also have a "WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe Gaming SSD with Heatsink up to 7300 MB/s read speed" for £179, reduced from £327, so 45% discount, which I nearly got before spotting the Samsung (which is the one I was originally going to buy anyway before this sale).

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Amazon are perhaps a little rich on their base prices....

4TB M2 NVMe PCIe 4 - £380

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-bl...hd-592-wd.html

Great prices considering we had a silicon shortage 12 months back.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is that with the PS5 certified heatsink? That always adds a bit to the price. All that's a good discount for a 4TB drive.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I only put 1TB in my PS5 when I got it, but both disks are already completely full.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's the issue as games are so huge those days. The space on the internal PS5 storage can only fit about 5-8 games which is only any good for the braindead gamers who only play COD, Fifa and Fortnite. For the rest of us we are juggling whats installed.

I will be glad to get this 2TB. Will make a big difference. There are quite a few PS5 games I want to play but don't want to have to complete one and delete it before playing others.

I also need to get an external drive to devote to PS4 game installs to keep the M2 storage free for PS5 only games. But haven't decided what drive to buy yet. I've been running a 4TB WD external drive with my PS4 for a long time. It's been flawless but you can hear it running so it might have to be a SSD external drive to keep things quiet. I could just plug the PS4 one into the PS5 but I'm actually still using the PS4 downstairs as all the multiplayer games I play with Tom are still PS4 at the moment (Human Fall Flay, Minrcraft Dungeons, Everybody's Golf etc). So a new external drive for the PS5 will be better. Any recommendations for an external USB3 SSD HDD?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The drive arrived yesterday and before the delivery driver was allowed to hand me the parcel I had to tell him a 6 digit password they had emailed me which he had to enter into his PDA. I suppose they have had parcels stolen that are just left, but I've ordered things with far more that haven't needed such security.

Anyway, drive installed and tested. A few games already installed and tried. So far so good. I hadn't bought M2 storage which a heatsink before. Really impressed with the build quailty of the Samsung one. The PS5 reported its read speed as 6500MB/s which is less than the advertised 7000MB/s, but that's still fast enough. And on looking out seems about right. Some who got drives with older firmware only managed 5500MB/s, but once they upgraded it they also got 6500MB/s, so that at least saves me that hassle. They will be many without a PC that just do the drive in a PS5 with no way to update the firmware. But hopefully by now all new ones are running the newer version.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    Is that with the PS5 certified heatsink? That always adds a bit to the price. All that's a good discount for a 4TB drive.
    My motherboard has a built in heatsink for 3 x NVMe's & an adapter with Heatsinks for two more that mount in a sort of DDR4 Slot alongside the mobo's 4 x DDR5 slots.

Please excuse my shallow reply, not realising you had mentioned PS5. Apologies.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What motherboard are you using?

I've never bothered with heatsinks for M2s before in the past, but then I've still only got Gen3 in mine so they don't run as hot. I want to build a new PC at some point with faster drives for 3D and post production so will need heatsinks.

Downloads
    Uploads

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice. Are you using, or tested out, either the 2.5Gb or 10Gb Ethernet?

I've been considering adding 2.5Gb to my network as I fully wired up my house with Cat6 so it will support it. Especially now you can get much faster devices on local networks now that could take advantage of faster data transfer. Especially when working on video or 3D projects and need to move files to free up space or back up. I think 10Gb is a bit too expensive at the moment.