Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wife going into Hospital on Thursday

After waiting a very long time (years), my wife Annabel is finally going into hospital this Thursday for a full knee replacement.

She has been suffering from really bad arthritis in her knees for a very long time and hasn't been able to walk very far before they hurt a lot and swell.

Finally the operation is here and it's going to take her some time to fully recover. They have said anything from 6 weeks to 3 months to be fully back to normal and enjoying the new knee fully.

We used to love going for walks in the countryside, but she hasn't been able to go far, even with a stick, for some years. It will be great if this can give her back her mobility and end the pain. Her other knee also has arthritis, but no where near as bad.

Only bad thing is work would not give me any time off when she comes out of hospital. They have given me the day off when she goes in for the operation, but unpaid. Tom will have to step up and help her in the evenings. Hopefulky her rehabilitation will be quick and uncomplicated. It will just mean making sure she walks on it every day and doing the muscle strengthening excercises.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm happy for her, I know that my back operation helped and it's been already 6 years now. Recovery was tough as hell, but I don't regret it, back is much better although will never be like completely new, I still am quite restricted when it comes to certain stuff, like putting socks and shoes on, which I will never be able to do the way I used to, as I cannot bend anymore so much due to the 2 titan bars.

I hope for her that everything goes well and that she can enjoy again painless walks and moving around without restricted mobility.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. Hopefully it all goes well.

She's had to visit the hospital this morning for a final Xray of the knee and a blood test. Then it's just waiting for Thursday.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you know how long she has to stay in hospital after the OP?

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    With a full knee replacement they try to start making them move and walk straight away. And they make sure they can go up and down stairs with crutches before sending them home. They said should be 1-3 days depending on how she gets on.

Then recovery at home will be between 6 weeks and 3 months.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Best wishes H and family.

One of my colleagues in her 50s had a knee replacement around 6 months ago - it went really well and has made a big difference in her mobility and discomfort. Recovery took about 6 weeks, it seemed slow at first but once it started to build momentum things seemed to progress well. Sucks that work wouldn't give you time off

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Annabel's operation went well today. In theatre for about 2 hours and was out of the recovery room by about 3pm.

I visited with Tom this evening and she was doing well. Not allowed to move much yet or get out of bed. I think it might start hurting more tomorrow once all feeling is back. They said she will probably stay in a few days, so maybe coming home Monday.

It feels a bit surreal after waiting a couple of years for the day to arrive and now finally she had it done. I hope it allows her to walk pain free once healed, and we can enjoy waking places again

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Friday she wasn't so good. The numbing from the operation finally wore off and she was in a lot of pain and the pain relief medication was making her sick. So she couldn't eat or sleep.

Today she was much better. First day out of bed using a walking frame to walk and get to the toilet. Physio was happy with her. And she was eating more again and sitting in a chair.

Not sure yet when she will be coming home. Possibly tomorrow or Monday.

They have given me some very attractive frames to put around the toilets at home to help her recovery. Will soon look just like an OAP lives here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Zimmer Frame jokes aside....

Hoping Annabel makes a speedy recovery fella.

I've carried a shot right knee for around 30 years now. They told me it would need replacing before I was 60. - I've still got it.

My Tibia bone has a split in the cartilage in the shape of a V & over the end of the bone. - Each tear line is an inch long & occasionally, I have severe pain when little pieces of cartilage chip off & then float around inside the synovial fluid of the knee joint.
    On bad days, I limp around looking like a Paraplegic on LSD & on really bad days, I can't stop myself falling. The pain is so intense, you just go with it to try & deal with it.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Her's is hereditary arthritis. It was always quite bad, even when I first knew her in her 20s the knee would sometimes give out and I would have to catch her falling. She had a keyhole surgery on it some years ago when a bone spur got trapped within the joint. I can only imagine how much that hurt. They said at the time the condition of that knee was the worst they had seen for her age.

She's definitely lucky to have had the operation. She had been waiting 2 years since being putt on that list, but with Civic and then the Nurses striking I was surprised she still had the operation now.

Yesterday and today she has been progressing. Far less pain, but some swelling. She hasn't been released to come home yet because they are not happy yet with the amount of weight she's putting down the leg and foot placement. So hadn't even attempted stairs yet. As soon as she can manage that she will be coming home.

I was given some lovely frames to put around the toilets at home. Really looks like an OAP house now.