Thread: LastOS

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    right..

Anyway, I personally loved Vista Ultimate. But it only worked on a high end PC. If you didn't have a fast enough CPU or enough ram Vista didn't run well. I built a new PC just for Vista and thought it was great. It was the first 64bit OS I used as my main OS. XP 64bit was incompatible with a lot of hardware and useless for a lot of software. But Vista 64bit supported both 64bit drivers and applications from XP, but was finally directly supported by hardware manufacturers for drivers. And unlike XP it could run most 32bit programs.

But for me the main reason for Vista 64bit was the support for more ram as I needed it for 3D and video post production software rendering for realtime previews. In something like Aftereffects, software rendering for realtime previews eats up a lot of ram. As does large photoshop projects. 3D and other programs from Adobe and Discreet/Autodesk too.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I quite liked Vista, and used it for a long time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why was Windows Vista terrible?
    Vista alone had 50 million lines of code, 10 million lines more than its successor, Windows 7. Because of the excessive amount of bloat and code, it was very slow on devices at the time, even on the latest and greatest hardware of 2007. This meant that it was more expensive to buy a machine that ran Vista properly. - 22 Jun 2020

Windows Vista: Why did it fail?

Wikipedia
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That basically confirms my findings. I built a top end PC at the time to run Vista and it run well. But many others in lower hardware hated it.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Windows 7 was undoubtedly better than Vista, but I do think Vista got a bit of a bad rap. The Aero interface was, for its time, very neat indeed.

I have been a Mac OS user for quite some time now - work imposed, mostly, but now I like and find it comfortable. Not very exciting though.