Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Amazon Prime

Are you an Amazon Prime member?

Do you take advantage of everything this monthly subscription includes? I've been a mender for years, ever since Grand Tour was about to launch.

Like many I consider it great value for the free Amazon Prime shipping. The Prime video is considered a free bonus. It occassionally has something worth watching, but it's definitely not a go to streaming service like Netflix or Disney+.

But Amazon are fairly aloof about the other benefits you get as a Prime subscriber, and often you stumble across them by accident, or receive a random email from Amazon about not missing a monthly perk you didn't know existed.

The first example is one most will know about, and that is Amazon Music. Similar to, but not as good as, Netflix. To gain full access you have to take a seperate subscription. But as a Prime member you already have access to a smaller 10% selection of the total music library.

The next is Kindle Unlimited. This is less known to many. The full Kindle Unlimited subscription gives you access to over a million ebooks. This includes not just novels and non fiction, but also magazines and other printed books. But Amazon Prime members also have access to a smaller portion of this same library. About 100k ebooks if I remember correctly. And it works the same as Kindle Unlimited. You can browse the library and borrow up to 10 books at any one time. Returning some to borrow more. Personally I think this is a very ckunky and awkward system that is unnecessary. It's also buggy. It doesn't always let you add an included book to your library or unghost the download. And you can't always remove a book to clear it so you can add a new one. I just don't see the point in this system. What is the reason for restricting the number? I can't really see one on digital media. It should be like game subscriptions. Add whatever and download as many as you like whilst your subscription is active. Just make it hard to use.

The next is a bonus for Prime members that I only discovered last year. It's called First Reads. Each month Kindle will publish a page called First Reads that will highlight up to 10 newly released novels. As a Prime member you can pick one from this list to keep free. And this month is 2 books. Worth a look as they are free and included in your subscription.

Thy final one I will mention so far is Prime Gaming. Now this is one not many k ow about or will ever of heard about. You won't easily find it by visiting Amazon and its almost like they want to keep it secret.

Amazon have a dirisl gaming library called Amazon Gaming. And as a Prime member each month they give away a few PC games for you to add to your Amazon gaming library. To download and play on your PC a and when you want. A bit like the old PS Plus or Xbox Gold subscriptions that have you free games each month. You have to claim them that month to add them to your library, but get to keep and pay them forever. Just go to Amazon and search for Amazon gaming to find the homepage.

Any other benefits of being an Amazon Prime member I've firgotten?

Looking at the benefits it's not actually a bad price at all. You don't get access to the whole music or Kindle libraries, but you do have access to about 10% of them. And we all know it's a marketting ploy to entice you to subscribe to the full package.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The one part of Amazon a Prime membership doesn't offer any access to is Audible. Not sure why they don't offer some free audio books as a Prime member as an incentive, but they are kept seperate.

I've subscribed to Audible for a long time. I don't really have time to read that many novels but I do adorns 2 hours each day travelling to work, so can listen to audio books and therefore up to 10 hours a week, so completely most books in 2 weeks. It quicker if I also listen whilst walking thy dog.

The monthly Audible subscription gives you 1 credit that you can use to purchase any audio book on Audible, regardless of price, and you can purchase 3 additional credits for £18. Full price audio books can vary from a frw pounds to over £40, so the credits work out a far better way to buy the books.

In addition last year Audible also added a menbers library, with other 1000 audio books free to subscribers. That's a nice bonus and there if a wide range if books available.

Another service I thought worth mentioning is Readly. This isn't owned by Amazon but you can subscribe to it from within your Amazon account to keep everything in one place, or seprately from their own website or app. It's a monthly digital magazine subscription. I used to subscribe to individual digital magazine subscriptions but there is no need any more for the majority of magazines.

Readly is like the Netflix or Gamepass of Magazines. You pay one monthly subscription and gain access to over 6000 different magazine and all of their back issues. Every magazine I used to subscribe to is included in the one price. You can add as many different magazines to your library and download as many issues to read as you want.

As soon as I teied this out I cancelled my Kindle Unlimited subscription because I was mainly using that to read magazines, and as mentioned it has a very bad design with the 10 book lending system. That meant to go back and reread an old magazine or book you had ro return (remove) one if your 10 books to add a different one. Just stupid. With Readly you just go to the magazine, find the issue you want to read, and read it. Simple.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have Amazon Prime because of the shipping from Germany, where I order 99% of my stuff, is free. That includes also the streaming service, which we use almost as much as Netflix for some series.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes.
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes I am a member, and no I don't use the full range of benefits from it.

I only signed up so I could quickly get Lady T a Kindle for her birthday (at short-ish notice). I probably should cancel it soon.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have a Kindle then there are a lot of ebooks induced in Prime. But the full Kindle Unlimited is worth the price if she reads a lot.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Amazon continue to sneak new features into Prime membership without really promoting them.

One I've used for a while is Deliveroo Plus, which gives you free dekivery on orders over a certain amount.

And one I just discovered is Odeon Cinema 2 tickets for £10. This is once per month. However Sky now offer 2 free tickets each month to Vue Cinemas, so that's a better deal, although if you want to go twice in a month this is a useful option. I also get discount cinema tickets from Royal Mail. I really should take advantage of all these more.

There is also unlimited full resolution photo storage which I never use. Really should as the Google one does degrade your pictures. The Prime one also includes 5GB free video storage.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It's all getting a tad crap tbh. Gotta pay 3 bucks a month to stop Adverts now.

YouTube are just as bad & then still screw you with adverts even though you subscribed to stop the adverts.

How do you mean "Google One degrade your pictures?"
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Google doesn't save your original images. It decompressed them to make them smaller files, which degrades the image quality.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by J T View Post
    Yes I am a member, and no I don't use the full range of benefits from it.

I only signed up so I could quickly get Lady T a Kindle for her birthday (at short-ish notice). I probably should cancel it soon.

Still haven't cancelled the Prime subscription, it's this pro-active and dynamic approach to managing financial waste that Lady T loves me for