We all love a good lightgun game. One of the earliest was Duck Hunt on the Nes. There were then a lot of famous arcade lightgun games, such as Operation Wolf, House of the Dead, Time Crisis and Virtua Cop.

Many were ported to various consoles and lightguns were released to support them. I've still got the Dreamcast and PS2 lightguns that came with Time Crisis and HotD2. I think they were official Guncon guns but would need to double check that. Think I might also have a guncon 1 for original PS1 as well but would need to check that too.

Anyway, the problem is they need a CRT TV and not many have keep one just in case they might need it. I do have few CRTs but for most they are a bit stuck.

That's where the Sinden Lightgun comes in.

https://sindenlightgun.com/

LNL010421-179.jpgLNL010421-148.jpg

This was a kickstarter project on IndieGoGo, but you can order directly from their own site now. This Sinden gun is designed to work on modern flat screens. I had a gun that also did this from 10+ years ago and it used a lightbar similar to the Wii. But this Sinden gun doesn't need a lightbar. It uses a thin border around the image to track the gun as the mouse pointer. And there is the limitation. This only works on PC or Linux based system such as a Rasperry Pi, so you have to run your games via emulation or run the PC version of games and use mouse aiming. It's not possible to use this gun with the original consoles. But it works and is very accurate.

I'm tempted to get one later to utilise with MAME.