Thread: Sinden Lightgun

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sinden Lightgun

We all love a good lightgun game. One of the earliest was Duck Hunt on the Nes. There were then a lot of famous arcade lightgun games, such as Operation Wolf, House of the Dead, Time Crisis and Virtua Cop.

Many were ported to various consoles and lightguns were released to support them. I've still got the Dreamcast and PS2 lightguns that came with Time Crisis and HotD2. I think they were official Guncon guns but would need to double check that. Think I might also have a guncon 1 for original PS1 as well but would need to check that too.

Anyway, the problem is they need a CRT TV and not many have keep one just in case they might need it. I do have few CRTs but for most they are a bit stuck.

That's where the Sinden Lightgun comes in.

https://sindenlightgun.com/

LNL010421-179.jpgLNL010421-148.jpg

This was a kickstarter project on IndieGoGo, but you can order directly from their own site now. This Sinden gun is designed to work on modern flat screens. I had a gun that also did this from 10+ years ago and it used a lightbar similar to the Wii. But this Sinden gun doesn't need a lightbar. It uses a thin border around the image to track the gun as the mouse pointer. And there is the limitation. This only works on PC or Linux based system such as a Rasperry Pi, so you have to run your games via emulation or run the PC version of games and use mouse aiming. It's not possible to use this gun with the original consoles. But it works and is very accurate.

I'm tempted to get one later to utilise with MAME.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was following their Kickstarter campaign but in the end thought they were too expensive for my usage, great to have but probably dust catchers.

Funny is that 5 minutes ago I was browsing the LaunchBox forums and there's a guy who has problems getting them to work properly in PCSX2, saying that he has to recalibrate each time he launches a game. I just guess he has to load a game each time with the correct controller profile otherwise it will take the default.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Time Crisis 2 on the PS2 was a lot of fun, there were some ace minigames too. I do miss a good lightgun game, it's a shame they sort of fell by the wayside.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think it was just the end of CRT TVs that killed them off. By the time the PS3 came out most people were buying LCD or Plasma TVs.