Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you didn't want to setup an emulation front-end then there are preconfigured setups available. Some romburners now sell preconfigured HDs, and I know of at least 2 people in the emulation scene that create preconfigured RPi4 setups ready to go. So options exist for those without time, or can't be bothered to do it all themselves.

Obviously if then putting a preconfigured setup in an arcade cabinet you might end up having to redo the control configuration.

I would probably opt for a full PC build though with a full cabinet setup just to have the best emulators and options.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Stay away from those preconfigured HDDs, they're a mess. Had one once, was very expensive and everything was just thrown in, several emulators existed multiple times, really annoying if you wanna change something, ROMs were a disaster, choice of games horrible, plus super unorganized, like the complete chaos, CPC464 f.ex. only had spanish versions of the games.

It's perhaps fine to buy and never touch if you don't have any clue, but it made my work double or triple. From that point on I stayed away from that crap.

Download one from Arcade Punks, they have many, and just unpack it on a disk and you're fine to go, not even spending money. They have builds fo 256GB, 512GB, 1TB and more. They're even a Launchbox one called [3tb]-Loaded.Launchbox.BigBox-Wolfanoz which includes already some good stuff, although no images, videos and stuff are included, if you don't need that than you're fine.

You can find that download here: https://www.arcadepunks.com/launchbo...-end-download/

Only thing you need to do is to sign up at Arcade Punks, but you don't need paid membership. The site is a bit a mess to navigate but other than that it has some very cool stuff.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of the preconfigured HDDs are a mess, that's true, but one guy with a Facebook group creates really nice custom RPi4 setups that are very well configured and organised.

Personally like you I do all my own rom configuring and building sets. But for many they don't know where to start or don't have the time to learn.

I've never bothered with the Arcade Punks downloads though. I might download them anyway to have a play around. Always useful to have another source. Most of my collection has been built up over the past 25 years of downloads so is custom to me. But I also have full rom sets, but tend to only include games in actually ever going to load, but everything for the sake of it. My only exception is MAME, where I do like to have the whole set.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The facebook group I commented about is called Retro Realm, where you can find good preconfigured setups.

One guy in the group called Kenny Shand sells 1GB USB drives that are plug and play PC setups that boot from the drive directly into the frontend, bypassing Windows. So ideal for those wit any knowledge.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Obviously the issue with any preconfigured setup you buy from someone else is that they have set it up and not yourself. Even a 1TB drive cannot fit everything on it, especially if it includes newer systems, and you can't guarantee they have only included one version of each game and not every clone or regional variation.

The big advantage of spending time building a setup yourself is personal preference. You can cherry pick just the games and systems you want, and the versions of each.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    The big advantage of spending time building a setup yourself is personal preference. You can cherry pick just the games and systems you want, and the versions of each.
    Very true, but a lot of people don't want to take their time, which I completely understand as it is VERY time consuming. It is my hobby, like other people build cars, work with wood or play with Märklin.

I can send you a copy of my 1TB RPi4 setup, which will only cost you the price of an SD card

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be cool. PM me.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Only have to figure out how to make a copy

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Raspberry Pi OS has an SD Card Copier app.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I’m just gonna send you my card, you make a copy and send it back. PM me your address.