Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking through games, but never actually playing anything!

Do you ever get into a situation where you decide to play a game, but end up never paying anything? Load up an emulator frontend, a game library like Steam or a console, or even just start looking through a directory of games, but you find yourself just going through all the games and never actually playing anything.

This happens to me a lot.

It's even worse when I decide to check a rom set. Collecting retro rom sets ends up being the thing you do, then arranging them, correcting their naming convention, adding them into an emulator frontend and configuring them, along with artwork. But then never actually load and play them.

I suppose it's like antiques where people collect them, but not to use, just to know you have them.

I really need to actually play more of the games.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did when I had a DS and flashcart, but I haven't really dipped into rom sets or emulators for a long time now.

I do find similar with TV streaming services, often I'll just scroll and scroll through Netflix / Disney+ / etc / etc and not find anything that *really* grabs my attention, just a w hole bunch of stuff which makes me thing "that looks OK, but I'm not feeling it right now". Often times it'll be when someone recommends something that leads me to actively go looking specifically.

Spotify (or music) I'm a bit less picky and happy to go with random stuff or a playlist. I suppose it's easy to skip, or to tolerate something I'm not really into for a few minutes. Watching TV or a film just seems like so much more of a time investment, and I seem to be very reluctant to invest time in media consumption lately.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm the same with streaming. Unless I go there specifically looking for something I can waste ages looking through.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep, and then I often go back and watch something I've already seen before as I know I'll like it, for example:

People Just Do Nothing (this is totally amazing and - if you get this sort of thing - must be watched)
    Anthony Jeselnik stand up shows
    Aunty Donna's Big Old House of Fun (absurd humour, didn't click first time but was super funny when I was ready for it)
    Pimp My Ride (US version with Xzibit)
    Simpsons or Futurama

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I quite often just end up watching Friends, Big Bang Theory or old Top Gear. Turn on Sky and they're always being shown.

And how many times have I watched a film on TV that has ad breaks, even though I own the film and could watch it without the adverts.

I have finally decided to go through the films I have recorded on Sky Q for a very long time and finally watch them and clear the HD space. Just finally watched Wonder Woman 1984. Not beilliant, but was OK.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    And how many times have I watched a film on TV that has ad breaks, even though I own the film and could watch it without the adverts.
    Exactly the same for me, it's kind of crazy though.

Do you ever get into a situation where you decide to play a game, but end up never paying anything? Load up an emulator frontend, a game library like Steam or a console, or even just start looking through a directory of games, but you find yourself just going through all the games and never actually playing anything.

This happens to me a lot.

It's even worse when I decide to check a rom set. Collecting retro rom sets ends up being the thing you do, then arranging them, correcting their naming convention, adding them into an emulator frontend and configuring them, along with artwork. But then never actually load and play them.
    You basically just told my life

I'm constantly adding games to LaunchBox, lately I have gone through some English translations again over at CD-Romance. Sometimes I try if a game is working, mostly with the bigger games, like I test every Switch game before adding it to LaunchBox.

A lot of games also need trimming, changing file format, merging tracks and stuff, just takes a lot of time, but once it's done it's done.

Like with the handhelds or RPi4, first spending months getting everything to work, once everything is set up and running, it's put away and the next challenge awaits. But I always think that's a big part of the fun, at least of my fun. Seeing the end result is so much worth the "work".

Like now at the moment I'm thinking already which game I should continue playing after I stop working, then I find one but eventually end up playing something else or playing nothing at all, browsing through the Steam catalogue and buy even more

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    ]

I have finally decided to go through the films I have recorded on Sky Q for a very long time and finally watch them and clear the HD space. Just finally watched Wonder Woman 1984. Not beilliant, but was OK.
    Same, I wonder how many times I've watched Under Siege just cos it's on telly and it's easy yet fun viewing.

Wonder Woman 1984 was so boring I fell asleep twice in it. Shame as the first one was an enjoyable romp. TBF tho I was absolutely knackered when I tried watching WW1984

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the only thing that stopped me turning off WW1984 was Gal Gadot. She's just gorgeous. But the film was bad. It felt like it was made in 1984, not just set then. Her whole flying sequence was pointless and made no sense. I also think Pedro Pascal should stick to playing The Mandalorian.