Thread: Mad weather

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mad weather

It has been raining heavily a lot over the last couple of weeks. Complete contract to the months of drought we had back in the summer. But yesterday and last night was something else. It was very heavy constantly and the roads were getting quite bad with a few accidents on my way to work last night.

But coming back late last night wasn't a great experience. Rain was still really heavy and there had been lots of accidents and crashes on the M27 motorway. Thankfully they were cleared away or under control by the time I got to them. But the A27 from Portsmouth to Chichester had been completely closed by the Police due to a bad accident and the road being completely flooded and under water. They showed it in thy last night news. The diversion along the A259 took me past my old house in Fishbourne and the roads were partly flooded along there too.

It was very similar to the heavy rain in 2012 that flooded our old house. I hope our old neighbours are ok.

At a couple of points it was raining so heavily I completely lost sight of the road. It was mad.

How has the weather been where you are?

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    It does seem like the weather is a bit wilder of late, we go from big big highs to real lows, record rains and high winds. It seems like there's not much gap between them either.

We had a warm patch of about 2 weeks and then an icy cold wind came through. It's almost summer and yet, there were reports of sleet not far from here.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We haven't had one frost yet and it's halfway through November. Normally plants are killed off by now but I still have some flowering. It is mad.

This has to be more evidence of global warming. But still so may won't believe it. Its not good for plants and animals. Many that are normally hibernating are still out and about, such as bumblebees, Hedgehogs and mice. Thankfully with some plants still flowing they have something to live on. I've also left all my flower stems alone and not cut them back this year so there are seed pods for birds and other animals.

And the lowest temperature here so far this winter is about 9C. I've only had to light the log burner 3 times so far. I suppose that's a bonus because we have decided not to run the central heating this winter if we can help it, because of the huge increases in energy prices this year. Ours has gone up from £80 per month for gas and electric combined, to £240. But some friends are now already paying £400 a month! We were lucky to get a last minute fixed rate just before the prices shot up.

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Raining like hell here, almost constantly dark outside and wind also increased a lot today. Really bad.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Australia records 50C temperature swing as south-east wakes to winter cold: https://www.9news.com.au/national/we...2-e7cf925bca56

It's worth remembering just how huge 'Straya is, but even so that's quite a staggering headline and the picture used for illustration even more so.

In the little area I am, the sun and the wind are the two major factors in how the weather feels to us. Considering we are almost in summer, we had a couple of chilly days recently, all the more jarring after a little warm-ish spot last week.

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 8.15.41 am.jpg

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is a huge shift in temperature.

There were showing some really bad flooding in Australia on the news today. Hope not too bad.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner View Post
    Raining like hell here, almost constantly dark outside and wind also increased a lot today. Really bad.
    You must be getting the weather we had yesterday.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    That is a huge shift in temperature.

There were showing some really bad flooding in Australia on the news today. Hope not too bad.
    No flooding in our part, but in other parts of the state it's really, really bad. There are some towns that are just copping it hard, so it's awful for them.