My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tactics Ogre Reborn

2x1_NSwitch_TacticsOgreReborn_image1600w.jpg

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en...cs-ogre-reborn

Tactics Ogre is an isometric 3D strategy RPG that originally came out in 1995 on the SNES, and was later upgraded and released on Playstation. Reborn is a complete remake of this great game, with fully updated graphics, soundtrack, and the skills, levelling and combat systems updated and tweaked.

Reborn also adds full voice acting to all dialogue boxes, which makes a huge improvement.

They have managed to retain the look and feel of the original, as well as the gameplay. They haven't tried to go too far from the original look or style. Some might not like the retro era feel of the visuals, but this is a remake of a classic, and many will be buying this as fans of the original. To me is great. This was one of my favouite styles of stategy game.

There were many great Strategy RPGs released on the original Playstation. Most gamers will have heard of, and hopefully played, Final Fantasy Tactics, Suikoden, Breath of Fire and Vandal Hearts. But not as many will have heard of Tactics Ogre. This came out before the others and they all built on its design. Final Fantasy Tactics is very similar in many regards, but I would say Tactics Ogre is the better, if more complex game. You can micromanage and tweak every aspect of every member of your group or army, which can be a real time sink if you are not careful. Nothing worse that spending an hour configuring your characters only fit them to be killed in the next battle.

Here is a short review to give you an idea of the gameplay and feel.

Tactics Ogre Reborn has now been released and is available on PS5, Xbox, PC (Steam) and Nintendo Switch.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Somerville and Pentinent are also out, I never was into tactical RPGs, too much time consuming.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Pentinent interests me. The dark ages of Europe was a very barbaric, complex, religious and feudal time and I like this idea of using art in the style of illumination as the way to tell the story of that era.

I just checked and it's on Xbox Gamepass so I won't need to buy it. Somerville is also on there so I might check that out too as it looks interesting and is only meant to be a few hours long.

I'm also currently reading Light Perpetual by
    Andrzej Sapkowski (Book 3 in his Hussite trilogy) which is set in 14th century Europe, centering around the Polish, Czech, and Bohemians, with mass Religious heresy, suspicion of everyone, burnings, flaylings, and Catholic against Hussite religious wars. So this game should be interesting as the video previews show much of this.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!