Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

C64 addict Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads

Windows 11

Anyone running it?

I installed it yesterday, took quite long. So far it's running fine, have to test it more thoroughly though, how it will work with all the apps, games, emulation and stuff.

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, I don't currently have any compatible PCs to run it. I'm also not currently that interested as performance is meant to be worse than 10.

Will be interesting to knowc how you get on. Especially with emulation and games.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
    I'm also not currently that interested as performance is meant to be worse than 10.
    This is what I read:

Windows 11 is great if you care about performance. Microsoft talked about the performance benefits and optimizations in Windows 11 in a YouTube video. Overall, the performance benefits in Windows 11 pretty much come down to the way the newer OS handles system processes that you usually see when you open Task Manager.

According to Microsoft, Windows 11 does a lot of work in memory management to favor the app windows you have open and running in the foreground. This should ensure that they get more CPU power over other system resources. Microsoft actually tested this by showcasing how even under 90% CPU load, the Excel app in Windows 11 opens up with speed, despite the CPU being so busy. The company says the same also applies to the “shell” in Windows 11, which powers the Start Menu and other visual effects.

Other performance changes in Windows 11 touch on the way your PC resumes from sleep and handles standby time. Versus Windows 10, Microsoft mentioned that in Windows 11, your RAM can stay energized when the PC is in sleep mode, so it has power while everything else doesn’t. This will help your PC wake up to 25% faster from sleep.

In addition, since the Edge browser is the browser of choice in Windows 11, if you end up using it, you should see additional performance benefits over using the browser in Windows 10. Per Microsoft, with the sleeping tabs feature, you can save 32% for memory and 37% for CPU usage.

Microsoft has added performance improvements since launch, too. In February, Windows 11 received an update that boosted solid-state drive (SSD) speeds, for example.

In short, updating to Windows 11 means a more snappy experience where apps load faster and your PC wakes from sleep with ease. Windows 10 fast, but Windows 11 is just a bit faster.

RetroSteve! My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've only just figured out Windows 7 .

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In real world experiences gamers have said 11 takes a big hit in performance in games compared to 10. Some saying as much as a 20% performance drop. But that could be down to GPU drivers not yet being as good.

Burn! Hot Blooded Rhythm Soul! Staff Moderator
    My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Coates View Post
    I've only just figured out Windows 7 .
    Windows 7 is about where I stopped - I think I used a windows 10 PC maybe twice, for a few seconds, at work. Nothing was where I remembered it and frankly I couldn't be bothered and wasn't interested to learn.

Win 7 was great though.

My location

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds more like 8. That was a confusing steaming pile. It was just so illogical and I felt like I was fighting thy UI all the time. I never installed 8 on any of my own systems, but my wife's laptop had it. 10 put most things back where they should be like 7 and I then upgraded.

It's all very well hahnemann new ideas, but with an OS it it works then why change it. You have to winder who they are testing these changes on to get them to market.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Windows 11 really is crap compared to 10 & yes, I am a PC Gamer.

It's not just the FPS hit, it's the whole front end. - Right click on desktop gives you a bunch of sh!t you hardly ever need & then you select more options to get to the usual right click options. - Meh!

Windows on your desktop have rounded corners. - Why?? - Monitors don't have rounded corners.

So App orientated, it's pathetic. - This is a Personal Computer, not a fricking mobile device.

I do have a Windows 11 Capable PC. - Spec is 12900K @ 5.4Ghz on Asus ROG Maximus Extreme Z690 Mobo, 32GB DDR5 @ 6Ghz & Asus ROG Strix 3080 Ti but Win 10 is faster in Gaming. - However, Win 11 is supposed to be able to dedicate specific Tasks to specific cores, where Win 10 does not, but because of the gaming performance hit, I just can't be arsed.

If any of you want to try Win 11, your motherboard may have an option to install a TPM module (Trusted Platform Module) & then you will be able to install Win 11. - This really depends on the quality of Motherboard you invested in at the time. For example, my now 9 year old Asus P8Z77-V Premium mobo has an option to install a TPM & of course I'm not going to bother....

Hey Bill..... Windows 11... SMB!
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.

My location

Downloads
    Uploads
    Left ALT + SHIFT opens the old right click menu and you can also change the behavior so that it’s permanent. I kinda like the new style as I tend to have a lot in the right click options, when wanting to check the properties i even had to scroll down in that pop up window, real pain.

I know it’s a bit of a pain, but is it not with every new OS? Having to get a bit used of it. Some stuff is less practical, like always, some better. I like to use Free Commander, Win 11 has a nice feature that makes it obsolete, drag your explorer window to the top middle of your screen and you get many window splitting options, which can also then been reached from the taskbar, still grouped together in one box.

I guess they’re addressing the problem of less performance in gaming as it’s the only thing people seem to complain about, like I mean everybody, so I think they got that message.

The rounded corners is a strange decision though, but I like it, you can probably regedit it if you want. If you maximize the window it’s not rounded anymore.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe it's my age DC, but I'm a traditionalist with using my Pee Cee & am still registered with the latest version of Dopus. - Pro version FTP is seamless. - So much I still don't know about the program....

In WinBlows though, it's the App side of it all that gripes me. - I use OpenShell to replace Bill's idea on the Start Menu. - So much like the good old days if you had to have a PC!

Rounded corners & the colours with the gadget buttons kinda make it look a bit Mac-esque tbh....

"Don't kid yourself Bill".
    Getting 0ld0r is mandatory - Growing up is just an option.