So I got the idea this morning that I could use another network storage solution, wanted to upgrade my Synology 2413+ but that's quite expensive. I use it with 12x4TB HDDs, which were at that time the biggest HDDs available. I use Raid6, so losing 2 of them, but I'm still only at 70% basically because I'm constantly deleting stuff and managing free space.

First idea, for some time already, was to change the HDDs to 8TB ones, but considering the costs of 8TB HDDs it would become very expensive, they're still at almost 250€/HDD, which means I would have to spend around 3000€ for the upgrade. And as it's running just fine I thought to just leave it how it is.

At the moment I'm using an enclosure as JBOD solution with 2x16TB HDDs, one for LaunchBox backup and one for important Synology 2413+ backups. I thought it might be interesting to use it in a network.

So I bought another Synology, the 920+, a 4 bay NAS. Wanted to go with the 420+, but the 920+ is quad core and comes already with 4GB of RAM, and it's only 50€ more expensive and I bought an additional 4GB RAM expansion to upgrade it straight away to 8GB.

I also bought 2 more of those 16TB HDDs and the idea is to put all 4 of them together in a NAS and run it in a Raid5 environment, so I can have a more secure backup plus obviously extra space. This will be at the cost of not even half the price compared to upgrading my 2413+ with 8TB HDDs.

In case you ask why I bought Synology and not Qnap, I already have one, which I'm very happy with (had Qnap before), and I might be able to integrate them easier into one network.