Threaded View

Retro Addict Administrator
    My location

Burger Time Champion, Sonic Champion Harrison's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ukraine

I know we generally steer clear of politics on here, but I felt we need to comment on this current situation.

I personally fully support the Ukraine, and denounce Russia for this evil invasion of a democratic and sovereign country. The events over the last week are shocking, in that we are seeing a country in the 21st century committing atrocities on a level not seen in Europe since WWII.

The justifications and fabricated news being given in public addreses by Putin and his government controlled news networks is unbelievable. I don't think anyone will believe the stories of Neo-Nazi infultration, or that it's not Russia but Ukraine blowing up its own country.

He completely miscalculated the fast reaction by the world after triggering this invasion. Never have we seen Europe act so quickly and decisively as a collective. This has finally united them and made them wake-up to the fact there are more important things than money. Sometimes it takes a shock close to home to trigger that to happen.

Even the UNs actions are unpresidented. And the tightening of sanctions aimed at such a large country show that Putin's actions will no longer make the world cower under his threats of nuclear war, even if the fact he has that power at his command does worry everyone. You have to stand up to a bully. As soon as you allow them to win by threat and intimidation you have lost.

I think another realisation hit home in Europe when he directly threatened Finland and Sweden. If anything the threat Russia will invade them is far more likely to make them join NATO now.

Even just 10 years ago Russia would have faced the reaction we are now seeing. The world didn't react much when Crimea was annexed, or on a global scale when Russia was initially fighting in Ukraine and shot down the passenger plane. But in recent years, with the rise of social media people have had enough and will no longer put up with anyone who has anything to do with something like this. That is why we are seeing such a massive reaction from businesses instantly pulling out of the Russian Market. Car manufacturers, technology companies like Apple, Mastercard and Visa, Apple Pay and Google Pay. Clothing companies. Rich Oligarchs being frozen and stripped of their money or forced to sell their interestments in business. It's all unravelling fast for Russia because of the actions of a single Sycopath.

But it's also the wakeup call Europe has needed. For so long have countries allowed rich outside investment to take over businesses and have influence. We are seeing that end. Will Chinese foreign ownership and investment be next in the firing line? I think China's silence speaks of the fact they are watching events with some concern because if they show too much support for Russia they might be hit hard in consumer markets.

I don't just feel sorry for Ukrainians, but also for normal Russians. They had no part in this and do not want this war Putin is waging. They are the same as everyone else, just wanting a nice house, job, family and happy life. In just 1 week their president has already destroyed that and begun to cripple their economy and leave Russia isolated.

The only hope is for Russia to realise that it isn't the West or the rest of the world that is the problem. Putin might just have triggered the seeds of a revolution that unseat him and bring about much needed change. We can only hope this will end in true democracy for Russia, the end to their current autocratic sycopathic president and Ukraine in its rightful place as a sovereign nation at the Eastern edge of Europe.
    Last edited by Harrison; 24th September 2022 at 12:56.

If you haven't played a classic game in years, it's never too late to start!